New estimates of the UK real and nominal yield curves
AbstractThis paper presents some new estimates of the UK real and nominal yield curves. These estimates are derived using a spline-based technique modified for the UK government bond markets. At the short end of the nominal yield curve, additional data are included from the GC repo market. Estimates of the real yield curve are derived from the prices of index-linked gilts. It is found that the new yield curves outperform existing methods on a number if criteria that are designed to examine the suitability of estimates for the purpose of assessing monetary conditions. In particular, the estimates are found to be smooth across maturity while having sufficient flexibility to describe the shape of the curve at shorter maturities where expectations are relatively precise. The curves are also robust to small errors in the data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of England in its series Bank of England working papers with number 126.
Date of creation: Mar 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Publications Group Bank of England Threadneedle Street London EC2R 8AH
Phone: +44 (0)171 601 4030
Fax: +44 (0)171 601 5196
Web page: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-10-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2001-10-01 (European Economics)
- NEP-FIN-2004-11-07 (Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2001-10-01 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-MON-2004-11-07 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin D. D. Evans, 1998. "Real Rates, Expected Inflation, and Inflation Risk Premia," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(1), pages 187-218, 02.
- McCulloch, J Huston, 1971.
"Measuring the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(1), pages 19-31, January.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to estimate term structure with cubic splines," Statistical Software Components RTZ00019, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Mark Fisher & Douglas Nychka & David Zervos, 1995. "Fitting the term structure of interest rates with smoothing splines," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 95-1, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Daniel F. Waggoner, 1997. "Spline methods for extracting interest rate curves from coupon bond prices," Working Paper 97-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Nelson, Charles R & Siegel, Andrew F, 1987. "Parsimonious Modeling of Yield Curves," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(4), pages 473-89, October.
- McCulloch, J Huston, 1975. "The Tax-Adjusted Yield Curve," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 30(3), pages 811-30, June.
- Mark Deacon & Andrew Derry, 1994. "Deriving Estimates of Inflation Expectations from the Prices of UK Government Bonds," Bank of England working papers 23, Bank of England.
- Hackworth, J.F., 2008. "Uncertainty and the yield curve," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 98(3), pages 259-268, March.
- Deborah Gefang & Gary Koop & Simon M. Potter, 2009.
"The Dynamics of UK and US Inflation Expectations,"
Working Paper Series
14_09, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jan 2009.
- Gefang, Deborah & Koop, Gary & Potter, Simon M., 2008. "The Dynamics of UK and US Inflation Expectations," SIRE Discussion Papers 2008-59, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Gefang, Deborah & Koop, Gary & Potter, Simon M., 2011. "The Dynamics of UK and US Inflation Expectations," SIRE Discussion Papers 2011-47, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Deborah Gefang & Gary Koop & Simon Potter, 2011. "The Dynamics of UK and US Inflation Expectations," Working Papers 1120, University of Strathclyde Business School, Department of Economics.
- Jelena Zubkova, 2003. "Interest Rate Term Structure in Latvia in the Monetary Policy Context," Working Papers 2003/03, Latvijas Banka.
- Joyce, Michael & Lildholdt, Peter & Sorensen, Steffen, 2009.
"Extracting inflation expectations and inflation risk premia from the term structure: a joint model of the UK nominal and real yield curves,"
Bank of England working papers
360, Bank of England.
- Joyce, Michael A.S. & Lildholdt, Peter & Sorensen, Steffen, 2010. "Extracting inflation expectations and inflation risk premia from the term structure: A joint model of the UK nominal and real yield curves," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 281-294, February.
- Madureira, Leonardo, 2007. "The ex ante real rate and inflation premium under a habit consumption model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 355-382, June.
- Yallup, Peter J., 2012. "Models of the yield curve and the curvature of the implied forward rate function," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 121-135.
- Gimeno, Ricardo & Nave, Juan M., 2009. "A genetic algorithm estimation of the term structure of interest rates," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(6), pages 2236-2250, April.
- Erdemlioglu, Deniz, 2009. "Macro Factors in UK Excess Bond Returns: Principal Components and Factor-Model Approach," MPRA Paper 28895, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publications Team).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.