The equilibrium approach to optimum currency areas
AbstractThis paper contrasts the received view of optimum currency areas with the modernequilibrium approach. Setting Mundell's work against earlier analyses of monetary unions exposes the peculiarities of his theory, embedded in the static Keynesian paradigm. Mundell's hypothesis, constructed on the assumption of interregional factor immobility with regions spanning the country borders, leads to exogenous optimality criteria, which characterized the research program of the following decades (section 1). From the late 1990s, however, several papers emphasized the endogeneity ofoptimum currency area criteria on the basis of the new classical macroeconomics, overturning the traditional approach. Highlighting the implications of the Lucas critique, these contributions point at an alternative view of optimality, bringing the subject again into the realm of equilibrium theory (section 2).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Banca Nazionale del Lavoro in its journal BNL Quarterly Review.
Volume (Year): 59 (2006)
Issue (Month): 237 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.economiacivile.it
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krugman, P., 1993. "What Do We Need to Know About the International Monetary System?," Princeton Studies in International Economics 190, International Economics Section, Departement of Economics Princeton University,.
- Silvana Tenreyro & Robert J. Barro, 2003.
"Economic Effects of Currency Unions,"
NBER Working Papers
9435, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert A. Mundell, 2000.
"A Reconsideration of the Twentieth Century,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 90(3), pages 327-340, June.
- Cesarano, Filippo, 1985. "On the viability of monetary unions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 367-374, November.
- Paul de Grauwe & Francesco Paolo Mongelli, 2005.
"Endogeneities of Optimum Currency Areas: What brings Countries Sharing a Single Currency Closer together?,"
Working Papers de Economia (Economics Working Papers)
29, Departamento de Economia, Gestão e Engenharia Industrial, Universidade de Aveiro.
- De Grauwe, Paul & Mongelli, Francesco Paolo, 2005. "Endogeneities of optimum currency areas: what brings countries sharing a single currency closer together?," Working Paper Series 0468, European Central Bank.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Andrew K. Rose, 1996.
"The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria,"
NBER Working Papers
5700, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 1998. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(449), pages 1009-25, July.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 1996. "The Endogeneity of the Optimum Currency Area Criteria," CEPR Discussion Papers 1473, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fatas, Antonio, 1997.
"EMU: Countries or regions? Lessons from the EMS experience,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 743-751, April.
- Fatás, Antonio, 1997. "EMU: Countries or Regions? Lessons from the EMS Experience," CEPR Discussion Papers 1558, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alberto Alesina & Robert J. Barro, 2000.
NBER Working Papers
7927, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engel, Charles & Rogers, John H, 1996.
"How Wide Is the Border?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1112-25, December.
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 1994. "How Wide is the Border?," NBER Working Papers 4829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engel, C. & Rogers, J.H., 1995. "How Wide is the Border?," Papers 4-95-16, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 1995. "How wide is the border?," International Finance Discussion Papers 498, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Charles Engel & John H. Rogers, 1995. "How wide is the border?," Research Working Paper 95-09, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- R. A. Mundell, 2000. "Erratum: A Reconsideration of the Twentieth Century," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(5), pages 1535-1535, December.
- McCallum, John, 1995. "National Borders Matter: Canada-U.S. Regional Trade Patterns," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 615-23, June.
- Gil-Pareja, Salvador, 2003. "Pricing to market behaviour in European car markets," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 47(6), pages 945-962, December.
- Filippo Cesarano, 2006. "The Origins of the Theory of Optimum Currency Areas," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 38(4), pages 711-731, Winter.
- Jeffrey Frankel & Andrew Rose, 2002.
"An Estimate Of The Effect Of Common Currencies On Trade And Income,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 117(2), pages 437-466, May.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Rose, Andrew K., 2001. "An Estimate of the Effect of Common Currencies on Trade and Income," Working Paper Series rwp01-013, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- repec:cto:journl:v:24:y:2004:i:1-2:p:163-170 is not listed on IDEAS
- Filippo Cesarano, 1997. "Currency Areas and Equilibrium," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 51-59, January.
- Filippo Cesarano, 2006. "Optimum currency areas: a policy view," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 59(239), pages 317-332.
- Filippo Cesarano, 2006. "Optimum currency areas: a policy view," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 59(239), pages 317-332.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlo D'Ippoliti).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.