A psychological portrait of the individual investor in Europe
Abstract[eng] How are the values and beliefs of European investors linked to the perceived attractiveness of asset classes and investment strategies ? Until recently, little was known about this question. We summarize the data, methods, and results of the largest survey study ever conducted. More than 3,100 investors in six countries (Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom) participated. As anticipated, we find that clusters of values and beliefs, correlated with national identity, predict portfolio choice. Our findings have important implications for financial marketing and product design. . JEL classifications : E21, G11, M31
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Programme National Persée in its journal Revue d'économie financière (English ed.).
Volume (Year): 64 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.persee.fr/web/revues/home/prescript/revue/ecofi
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- M31 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Marketing and Advertising - - - Marketing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Slovic, Paul, 1972. "Psychological Study of Human Judgment: Implications for Investment Decision-Making," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 27(4), pages 779-99, September.
- Tversky, Amos & Kahneman, Daniel, 1986. "Rational Choice and the Framing of Decisions," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(4), pages S251-78, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Equipe PERSEE).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.