An Overview of France’s New Deposit Insurance System
Abstract[eng] Although deposit insurance schemes are theoretically redundant with capital adequacy standards, experience showed that a system combining both approaches was necessary in maintaining financial stability. Applications of regulations on the subject vary in countries concerned. As regards deposit insurance schemes however, models implementing risk related premium more effective but more costly to maintain are developing. The new French deposit insurance scheme is in line with this trend, by establishing deposit insurance premia which are based not only on deposits but also on the level of risk specific to each credit institution. The level of risk is determined by different parameters which are solvency, profitability, risk diversification and transformation. . JEL Classifications : G28
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Programme National Persée in its journal Revue d'économie financière (English ed.).
Volume (Year): 60 (2000)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.persee.fr/web/revues/home/prescript/revue/ecofi
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul H. Kupiec & James M. O'Brien, 1998.
"Deposit insurance, bank incentives, and the design of regulatory policy,"
Economic Policy Review,
Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Oct, pages 201-211.
- Paul H. Kupiec & James M. O'Brien, 1997. "Deposit insurance, bank incentives, and the design of regulatory policy," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1998-10, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berlin, Mitchell & Saunders, Anthony & Udell, Gregory F., 1991. "Deposit insurance reform: What are the issues and what needs to be fixed?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(4-5), pages 735-752, September.
- Kendall, Sarah B. & Levonian, Mark E., 1991. "A simple approach to better deposit insurance pricing," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(4-5), pages 999-1018, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Equipe PERSEE).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.