The Economic Impact of friendly matches between national teams : the Case of the Handball Match France vs Slovakia
AbstractFriendly sporting events involving national teams have been completely ignored by the scientific literature with regard to their contribution to the economy of the host territories. Nevertheless, this is a central issue for public management, since these events are part of an annual calendar of sporting events established by the local community, in partnership with sporting federations, in order to generate economic benefits at a local level. To appreciate the efficiency of their sporting events hosting policy, decision makers need valuations that do not only deal with mega-sporting events, but also with intermediate sized events, such as friendly matches involving national teams. The analysis conducted on an international handball match between France and Slovakia provides a first series of lessons about the economic effects of such events, which appear relatively modest. However, by comparing that economic benefit to the limited cost bared by local taxpayers, the return for local authorities is far better than for mega-sporting events, which implies huge amounts of public expenditure.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Economics, Prague in its journal Ekonomika a Management.
Volume (Year): 2012 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Postal: Redakce Ekonomika a management, Vysoká škola ekonomická v Praze, nám. W. Churchilla 4, 130 67 Praha 3
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Recreation; Tourism
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- R34 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Real Estate Markets, Production Analysis, and Firm Location - - - Input Demand Analysis
- R58 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Regional Development Planning and Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dominique Vollet & Jean-Paul Bousset, 2002. "Use of Meta-analysis for the Comparison and Transfer of Economic Base Multipliers," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 36(5), pages 481-494.
- Késenne S., 2005. "Do we need an Economic Impact study or a Cost-Benefit Analysis of a Sports Event?," Working Papers 2005018, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vaclav Subrta).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.