Meta-Analysis and the Value of Travel Time Savings: A Transatlantic Perspective in Passenger Transport
AbstractThe value of travel time savings (VTTS) is the monetary value attached to the possibility to save a determined amount of travel time. VTTS is also the most important benefit category aimed at justifying investments in transport infrastructures by public administrations. Hence VTTS played a significant role in various economic studies, both analytical and empirical. The present paper introduces a brief history of meta-analysis and describes the microeconomic formula used in VTTS estimations. It also provides a meta-analytical estimation of a selection of empirical studies, emphasizing the similarities and the differences between European and North-American observations. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2007
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Networks and Spatial Economics.
Volume (Year): 7 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=106607
Meta-analysis; Value of travel time savings; Passenger transport;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Truong, Truong P & Hensher, David A, 1985. "Measurement of Travel Time Values and Opportunity Cost from a Discrete-Choice Model," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 95(378), pages 438-51, June.
- Herbert Mohring, 1961. "Land Values and the Measurement of Highway Benefits," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 69, pages 236.
- Dalvi, M Q & Lee, N, 1971. "Variations in the Value of Travel Time: Further Analysis," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 39(3), pages 187-204, September.
- Deacon, Robert T & Sonstelie, Jon, 1985. "Rationing by Waiting and the Value of Time: Results from a Natural Experiment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(4), pages 627-47, August.
- Evans, Alan W, 1972. "On the Theory of the Valuation and Allocation of Time," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 19(1), pages 1-17, February.
- Bates, John J, 1987. "Measuring Travel Time Values with a Discrete Choice Model: A Note," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(386), pages 493-98, June.
- Carrion, Carlos & Levinson, David, 2012.
"Value of travel time reliability: A review of current evidence,"
Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice,
Elsevier, vol. 46(4), pages 720-741.
- Carlos Carrion & David Levinson, 2010. "Value of Travel Time Reliability: A review of current evidence," Working Papers 000085, University of Minnesota: Nexus Research Group.
- Dimitropoulos, Alexandros & Rietveld, Piet & van Ommeren, Jos N., 2013. "Consumer valuation of changes in driving range: A meta-analysis," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 55(C), pages 27-45.
- Thor-Erik Hanssen, 2012. "The influence of interview location on the value of travel time savings," Transportation, Springer, vol. 39(6), pages 1133-1145, November.
- Alexandros Dimitropoulos & Piet Rietveld & Jos N. van Ommeren, 2011. "Consumer Valuation of Driving Range: A Meta-Analysis," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 11-133/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Stefanie Peer & Jasper Knockaert & Paul Koster & Erik Verhoef, 2013. "Overreporting vs. Overreacting: Commuters' Perceptions of Travel Times," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 13-123/VIII, Tinbergen Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.