Variation in the Quality of Life within Punjab: Evidence from MICS, 2007-08
AbstractThe aim of the paper is to explore the variation in the quality of life by using thirty-five indicators relating to the quality of persons and the quality of conditions to rank districts and tehsils (sub-districts) of the Punjab. The study demonstrates the importance of access to middle and secondary education, access to health facilities and household utilities, etc. The quality of life ranking indicates that districts which have big cities are categorised as ‘good’ quality of life regions. It is important to note that the majority of the districts and tehsils from northern and central Punjab are doing better in terms of quality of life. However, regions with ‘poor’ quality of life are identified as the target for special resource allocations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Pakistan Institute of Development Economics in its journal The Pakistan Development Review.
Volume (Year): 49 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Quality of Life; Ranking; Punjab;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rizwana Siddiqui, 2008.
"Income, Public Social Services, and Capability Development: A Cross-district Analysis of Pakistan,"
2008:43, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Rizwana Siddiqui, 2008. "Income, Public Social Services, and Capability Development : A Cross-district Analysis of Pakistan," Development Economics Working Papers 22221, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Ali Cheema & Lyyla Khalid & Manasa Patnam, 2008. "The Geography of Poverty: Evidence from the Punjab," Lahore Journal of Economics, Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 13(Special E), pages 163-188, September.
- Mohammad, Irfan & Amjad, Rashid, 1994. "Poverty in rural Pakistan," MPRA Paper 38335, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Haq, Rashida, 2009. "Measuring human wellbeing in Pakistan: objective versus subjective indicators," MPRA Paper 38968, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rashida Haq & Uzma Zia, 2008. "Dimensions of Well-being and the Millennium Development Goals," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 47(4), pages 851-876.
- Rashid Amjad & G. M. Arif & Usman Mustafa, 2008.
"Does the Labor Market Structure Explain Differences in Poverty in Rural Punjab?,"
Lahore Journal of Economics,
Department of Economics, The Lahore School of Economics, vol. 13(Special E), pages 139-162, September.
- Amjad, Rashid & Arif, G. M. & Mustafa, Usman, 2008. "Does the labor market structure explain differences in poverty in rural Punjab?," MPRA Paper 37977, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.