The persistence and implications of Japanese keiretsu organization
AbstractThis paper examines two important research questions: (1) To what extent have recent economic and regulatory changes influenced the Japanese inter-corporate network? (2) Have the patterns of firm performance fostered by the Japanese inter-corporate system remained stable, or has there been an evolution to more ‘North American’ performance profiles? Using hierarchical regressions to compare patterns of networking and firm performance with data from the periods 1987 to 1991 and 1992 to 1997, we find little evidence to support the existence of significant changes in the patterns and implications of Japanese industrial organization. We conclude that the keiretsu system remained strongly in place throughout the first half of the 1990s. Nevertheless, we suggest that the continued move toward globalization of capital markets in Japan and ongoing regulatory change may potentially impact networking and performance implications in the 21st century. Journal of International Business Studies (2003) 34, 374–388. doi:10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400038
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 34 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mike Peng & Andrew Delios, 2006. "What determines the scope of the firm over time and around the world? An Asia Pacific perspective," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 385-405, December.
- Jean McGuire & Sandra Dow, 2009. "Japanese keiretsu: Past, present, future," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 333-351, June.
- Toru Yoshikawa & Jean McGuire, 2008. "Change and continuity in Japanese corporate governance," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 5-24, January.
- Sandra Dow & Jean McGuire & Toru Yoshikawa, 2011. "Disaggregating the group effect: Vertical and horizontal keiretsu in changing economic times," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 299-323, June.
- Rivera-Santos, Miguel & Rufín, Carlos, 2010. "Global village vs. small town: Understanding networks at the Base of the Pyramid," International Business Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 126-139, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.