A Behavioral Perspective on Negotiating International Alliance
AbstractTHIS STUDY EXAMINES THE INFLUENCE TACTICS OF SENIOR U.S. EXECUTIVES IN NEGOTIATING INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS ALLIANCES. THE STRATEGY LITERATURE ON ALLIANCES AND THE BEHAVIORAL LITERATURE ON NEGOTIATIONS WERE INCORPORATED INTO A BEHAVIORAL MODEL OF ALLIANCE NEGOTIATIONS. CONSTRUCTS IDENTIFIED FROM TRANSACTION COST, POWER DEPENDENCE AND GAME THEORIES WERE INTEGRATED AND LINKED TO HYPOTHESES DESCRIBING NEGOTIATORS’ INFLUENCE TACTICS IN ALLIANCE NEGOTIATIONS. IN EXAMINING EIGHTY-THREE ALLIANCE NEGOTIATIONS, NEGOTIATOR TRUST, PERCEPTION OF A PARTNER FIRM’S ALTERNATIVES, CONFLICT FRAME, TIME HORIZON, AND CULTURAL DISTANCE WERE FOUND TO AFFECT NEGOTIATORS’ TACTICS:.© 1998 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1998) 29, 665–694
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 29 (1998)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Annelies de Ridder & Agnieszka Rusinowska, 2008.
"On Some Procedures of Forming a Multipartner Alliance,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(2), pages 443-487, 06.
- Annelies De Ridder & Agnieszka Rusinowska, 2008. "On Some Procedures of Forming a Multi-partner Alliance," Post-Print halshs-00406461, HAL.
- Fainshmidt, Stav & White, George O. & Cangioni, Carole, 2014. "Legal Distance, Cognitive Distance, and Conflict Resolution in International Business Intellectual Property Disputes," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 188-200.
- Lai, Jung-Ho & Chang, Shao-Chi & Chen, Sheng-Syan, 2010. "Is experience valuable in international strategic alliances?," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 247-261, September.
- Contractor, Farok J. & Ra, Wonchan, 2000. "Negotiating alliance contracts: Strategy and behavioral effects of alternative compensation arrangements," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 271-299, June.
- Lumineau, Fabrice & Henderson, James, 2012. "The influence of relational experience and contractual governance on the negotiation strategy in buyer-supplier disputes," MPRA Paper 38510, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Luo, Yadong & Shenkar, Oded, 2002. "An empirical inquiry of negotiation effects in cross-cultural joint ventures," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 141-162.
- Luo, Yadong, 1999. "Toward a conceptual framework of international joint venture negotiations," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 141-165.
- Håkanson, Lars & Ambos, Björn, 2010. "The antecedents of psychic distance," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 195-210, September.
- Fiedler, Marina & Haruvy, Ernan & Li, Sherry Xin, 2011. "Social distance in a virtual world experiment," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 400-426, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.