Deregulation and Consumption: Saving Dynamics in the Nordic Countries
AbstractChanges in saving behavior brought about by financial liberalization in the Nordic countries are examined. Although this paper suggests that there have been changes in the economic relationships in Denmark and Finland, the evidence from Norway is less conclusive, and the data do not reveal any structural change in Sweden. The results also indicate that the wealth effect has played an increasing role in household saving decisions. Since the present tax rules are biased against saving, cuts in marginal tax rates and reductions in the tax value of interest payments would be expected to increase household saving.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Staff Papers - International Monetary Fund.
Volume (Year): 37 (1990)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sophocles Brissimis & George Hondroyiannis & Christos Papazoglou & Nicholas Tsaveas & Melina Vasardani, 2012.
"Current account determinants and external sustainability in periods of structural change,"
Economic Change and Restructuring,
Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 71-95, February.
- Sophocles N. Brissimis & George Hondroyiannis & Christos Papazoglou & Nicholas T. Tsaveas & Melina A. Vasardani, 2010. "Current account determinants and external sustainability in periods of structural change," Working Papers 117, Bank of Greece.
- Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Hondroyiannis, George & Papazoglou, Christos & Tsaveas, Nicholas T. & Vasardani, Melina A., 2010. "Current account determinants and external sustainability in periods of structural change," Working Paper Series 1243, European Central Bank.
- Janine Aron & John Muellbauer, 2004.
"Revised Estimates of Personal Sector Wealth for South Africa,"
Economics Series Working Papers
WPS/2004-24, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Janine Aron & John Muellbauer, 2004. "Revised estimates of personal sector wealth for South Africa," CSAE Working Paper Series 2004-24, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Janine Aron & John Muellbauer, 2004. "Revised Estimates of Personal Sector Wealth for South Africa," Development and Comp Systems 0409070, EconWPA.
- Barry Eichengreen and Carlos Arteta., 2000.
"Banking Crises in Emerging Markets: Presumptions and Evidence,"
Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers
C00-115, University of California at Berkeley.
- Barry Eichengreen & Carlos Arteta, 2001. "Banking Crises in Emerging Markets: Presumptions and Evidence," Macroeconomics 0012012, EconWPA.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Arteta, Carlos, 2000. "Banking Crises in Emerging Markets: Presumptions and Evidence," Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series qt3pk9t1h2, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Bandiera, Oriana & Caprio, Gerard & Honohan, Patrick & Schiantarelli, Fabio, 1999. "Does financial reform increase or reduce savings ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2062, The World Bank.
- Patrick Honohan, 1995. "The Impact of Financial and Fiscal Policies on Saving," Papers WP059, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Pedersen, Karsten N., 1991. "Intertemporal substitution in consumption : evidence for some high- and middle-income countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 641, The World Bank.
- Aron, Janine & Muellbauer, John & Prinsloo, Johan, 2006. "Estimating the Balance Sheet of the Personal Sector in an Emerging Market Country: South Africa 1975-2003," Working Paper Series RP2006/99, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Elin Halvorsen, 2003. "Financial Deregulation and Household Saving. The Norwegian Experience Revisited," Discussion Papers 361, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Luis Zambrano Sequín & Matías Riutort & Rafael Muñoz & Juan Carlos Guevara, 1998. "El ahorro privado en Venezuela: Tendencias y determinantes," Research Department Publications 3021, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Solveig K. Erlandsen & Ragnar Nymoen, 2004. "Consumption and population age structure," Working Paper 2004/22, Norges Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.