Overcoming the Curse of Hydrocarbon: Goals and Governance in the Oil Funds of Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan
AbstractThis paper discusses the contribution that oil funds can make to the policy challenges facing resource-rich countries. To set the stage, it reviews the potential role of such funds in the broader context of macroeconomic and energy policies – taking into account uncertainty about oil prices, the impact of institutional costs, and problems of organisational design. The paper then highlights the critical role of governance issues in three respects: defining transparently the goals of each fund; communicating these goals to build a constituency of public support; and ensuring the efficient and transparent management of the fund on an ongoing basis. Two recent cases in the Caspian Sea region are then discussed: Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan. In both instances, the paper highlights issues of coordination and efficiency in the investment policies of the funds. While there are attempts to monitor their transparency through public awareness and websites, the author believes that this in itself is no substitute for a comprehensive governance strategy. Moreover, improved transparency can help inform the debate about strategic issues concerning the goals for such funds, and their contribution to the country's development strategy. Comparative Economic Studies (2006) 48, 583–613. doi:10.1057/palgrave.ces.8100160
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Comparative Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 48 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yelena, Kalyuzhnova, 2011. "The National Fund of the Republic of Kazakhstan (NFRK): From accumulation to stress-test to global future," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 6650-6657, October.
- Pomfret, Richard, 2012.
"Resource management and transition in Central Asia, Azerbaijan and Mongolia,"
Journal of Asian Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 146-156.
- Richard Pomfret, 2011. "Resource Management and Transition in Central Asia, Azerbaijan, and Mongolia," Working Paper Series WP11-8, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- repec:rdg:emxxdp:em-dp2009-04 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kalyuzhnova, Yelena & Nygaard, Christian, 2008. "State governance evolution in resource-rich transition economies: An application to Russia and Kazakhstan," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1829-1842, June.
- Tsani, Stella, 2013. "Natural resources, governance and institutional quality: The role of resource funds," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 181-195.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.