Analytical GMM Tests: Asset Pricing with Time-Varying Risk Premiums
AbstractWe propose alternative generalized method of moments (GMM) tests that are analytically solvable in many econometric models, yielding in particular analytical GMM tests for asset pricing models with time-varying risk premiums. We also provide simulation evidence showing that the proposed tests have good finite sample properties and that their asymptotic distribution is reliable for the sample size commonly used. We apply our tests to study the number of latent factors in the predictable variations of the returns on portfolios grouped by industries. Using data from October 1941 to September 1986 and two sets of instrumental variables, we find that the tests reject a one-factor model but not a two-factor one. Article published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the Society for Financial Studies in its journal, The Review of Financial Studies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Studies in its journal Review of Financial Studies.
Volume (Year): 7 (1994)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jay Shanken & Guofu Zhou, 2006.
"Estimating and Testing Beta Pricing Models: Alternative Methods and their Performance in Simulations,"
NBER Working Papers
12055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shanken, Jay & Zhou, Guofu, 2007. "Estimating and testing beta pricing models: Alternative methods and their performance in simulations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 40-86, April.
- Jay Shanken & Guofu Zhou, 2007. "Estimating and testing beta pricing models: Alternative methods and their performance in simulations," CEMA Working Papers 275, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Vaihekoski, Mika, 1998.
"Short-term returns and the predictability of Finnish stock returns,"
13984, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mika Vaihekoski, 1998. "Short-term returns and the predictability of Finnish stock returns," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 11(1), pages 19-36, Spring.
- Ravi Jagannathan & Zhenyu Wang, 1996.
"The conditional CAPM and the cross-section of expected returns,"
208, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Jagannathan, Ravi & Wang, Zhenyu, 1996. " The Conditional CAPM and the Cross-Section of Expected Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 3-53, March.
- Campbell R. Harvey & Bruno Solnik & Guofu Zhou, 1994.
"What Determines Expected International Asset Returns?,"
NBER Working Papers
4660, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell R. Harvey & Bruno Solnik & Guofu Zhou, 2002. "What Determines Expected International Asset Returns?," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 3(2), pages 249-298, November.
- Campbell R. Harvey & Bruno Solnik & Guofu Zhou, 2002. "What Determines Expected International Asset Returns?," CEMA Working Papers 503, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Seung C. Ahn & Young H. Lee & Peter Schmidt, 2006.
"Panel Data Models with Multiple Time-Varying Individual Effects,"
0702, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Ahn, Seung C. & Lee, Young H. & Schmidt, Peter, 2013. "Panel data models with multiple time-varying individual effects," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 174(1), pages 1-14.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.