The Capital Structure Decisions of New Firms
AbstractWe study capital structure choices that entrepreneurs make in their firms' initial year of operation, using restricted-access data from the Kauffman Firm Survey. Firms in our data rely heavily on external debt sources, such as bank financing, and less extensively on friends-and-family-based funding sources. Many startups receive debt financed through the personal balance sheets of the entrepreneur, effectively resulting in the entrepreneur holding levered equity claims in their startups. This fact is robust to numerous controls, including credit quality. The reliance on external debt underscores the importance of credit markets for the success of nascent business activity. The Author 2012. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of The Society for Financial Studies. All rights reserved. For Permissions, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org., Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Studies in its journal The Review of Financial Studies.
Volume (Year): 27 (2014)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
- L26 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Entrepreneurship
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fairlie, Robert W. & Krashinsky, Harry A., 2011.
"Liquidity Constraints, Household Wealth, and Entrepreneurship Revisited,"
Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt6hv0m2q6, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Robert W. Fairlie & Harry A. Krashinsky, 2012. "Liquidity Constraints, Household Wealth, And Entrepreneurship Revisited," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 58(2), pages 279-306, 06.
- Fairlie, Robert W. & Krashinsky, Harry A., 2006. "Liquidity Constraints, Household Wealth, and Entrepreneurship Revisited," IZA Discussion Papers 2201, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Robert W. Fairlie & Harry A. Krashinsky, 2012. "Liquidity Constraints, Household Wealth, and Entrepreneurship Revisited," CESifo Working Paper Series 3784, CESifo Group Munich.
- Puri, Manju & Robinson, David T., 2007.
"Optimism and economic choice,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 71-99, October.
- Andy Cosh & Douglas Cumming & Alan Hughes, 2009.
"Outside Enterpreneurial Capital,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(540), pages 1494-1533, October.
- Andy Cosh & Douglas Cumming & Alan Hughes, 2005. "Outside Entrepreneurial Capital," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp301, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Erik Hurst & Annamaria Lusardi, 2004. "Liquidity Constraints, Household Wealth, and Entrepreneurship," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(2), pages 319-347, April.
- Michael L. Lemmon & Michael R. Roberts & Jaime F. Zender, 2008. "Back to the Beginning: Persistence and the Cross-Section of Corporate Capital Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(4), pages 1575-1608, 08.
- Marco Da Rin & Thomas F. Hellmann & Manju Puri, 2011.
"A survey of venture capital research,"
NBER Working Papers
17523, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Da Rin, M. & Hellmann, T. & Puri, M.L., 2011. "A Survey of Venture Capital Research," Discussion Paper 2011-111, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Da Rin, M. & Hellmann, T. & Puri, M.L., 2011. "A Survey of Venture Capital Research," Discussion Paper 2011-044, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Rodrigo Canales & Ramana Nanda, 2008.
"A Darker Side to Decentralized Banks: Market Power and Credit Rationing in SME Lending,"
Harvard Business School Working Papers
08-101, Harvard Business School, revised Aug 2011.
- Canales, Rodrigo & Nanda, Ramana, 2012. "A darker side to decentralized banks: Market power and credit rationing in SME lending," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 105(2), pages 353-366.
- Hui Chen & Jianjun Miao & Neng Wang, .
"Entrepreneurial Finance and Non-diversifiable Risk,"
Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
wp2009-018, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Hui Chen & Jianjun Miao & Neng Wang, 2009. "Entrepreneurial Finance and Non-diversifiable Risk," NBER Working Papers 14848, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hui Chen & Jianjun Miao & Neng Wang, 2009. "Entrepreneurial Finance and Non-diversifiable Risk," Boston University - Department of Economics - The Institute for Economic Development Working Papers Series dp-180, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Brown, Martin & Degryse, Hans & Höwer, Daniel & Penas, María Fabiana, 2012. "How do banks screen innovative firms? Evidence from start-up panel data," ZEW Discussion Papers 12-032, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Pelger, Ines, 2012. "Male vs. female business owners: Are there differences in investment behavior?," Annual Conference 2012 (Goettingen): New Approaches and Challenges for the Labor Market of the 21st Century 62016, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Jim Wilkinson & Jon Christensson, 2011. "Can the supply of small business loans be increased?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Q II.
- Julia Hirsch & Uwe Walz, 2009. "Financing Decisions Along a Firm’s Life Cycle: Debt as a Commitment Device," Working Papers 0409, Universidad Iberoamericana, Department of Economics.
- Cerqueiro, G.M. & Penas, M.F., 2011.
"How Does Personal Bankruptcy Law Affect Start-ups?,"
2011-043, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Cerqueiro, G.M. & Penas, M.F., 2011. "How Does Personal Bankruptcy Law Affect Start-ups?," Discussion Paper 2011-106, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.