Do Banks Benefit from Internationalization? Revisiting the Market Power--Risk Nexus
AbstractWe analyze the impact of bank internationalization on domestic market power (Lerner index) and risk for German banks. Risk is measured by the official declaration of regulatory authorities that a bank is distressed. We distinguish the volume of foreign assets, the number of foreign countries, and different modes of foreign entry. Our analysis has three main results. First, higher market power is associated with lower risk. Second, holding assets in many countries reduce market power at home, but banks with a higher share of foreign assets exhibit higher market power. Third, bank internationalization is only weakly related to bank risk. Copyright 2013, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Finance Association in its journal Review of Finance.
Volume (Year): 17 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Other versions of this item:
- Buch, Claudia M. & Koch, Cathérine Tahmee & Koetter, Michael, 2010. "Do banks benefit from internationalization? Revisiting the market power-risk nexus," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2010,09, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gabriel Jiménez & Jose A. Lopez & Jesús Saurina, 2010.
"How Does Competition Impact Bank Risk-Taking?,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
1005, Banco de Espa�a.
- David Martinez-Miera & Rafael Repullo, 2010.
"Does Competition Reduce the Risk of Bank Failure?,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(10), pages 3638-3664, October.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica & Tressel, Thierry, 2006.
"Banking on the principles : compliance with Basel Core Principles and bank soundness,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3954, The World Bank.
- Demirgüç-Kunt, AslI & Detragiache, Enrica & Tressel, Thierry, 2008. "Banking on the principles: Compliance with Basel Core Principles and bank soundness," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 511-542, October.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Laurent Weill, 2005.
"Can mergers in Europe help banks hedge against macroeconomic risk?,"
DULBEA Working Papers
in, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Pierre-Guillaume Meon & Laurent Weill, 2005. "Can mergers in Europe help banks hedge against macroeconomic risk?," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(5), pages 315-326.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Laurent Weill, 2003. "Can Mergers in Europe Help Banks Hedge Against Macroeconomic Risk," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2003-05, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Laurent Weill, 2005. "Can mergers in Europe help banks hedge against macroeconomic risk?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8370, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- de Haas, Ralph & van Lelyveld, Iman, 2010.
"Internal capital markets and lending by multinational bank subsidiaries,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation,
Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 1-25, January.
- De Haas, Ralph & van Lelyveld, Iman, 2009. "Internal Capital Markets and Lending by Multinational Bank Subsidiaries," MPRA Paper 13164, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ralph De Haas & Iman Van Lelyveld, 2008. "Internal capital markets and lending by multinational bank subsidiaries," Working Papers 105, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist.
- Ralph de Haas & Iman van Lelyveld, 2006. "Internal Capital Markets and Lending by Multinational Bank Subsidiaries," DNB Working Papers 101, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Caminal, Ramon & Matutes, Carmen, 2002. "Market power and banking failures," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 1341-1361, November.
- Maudos, Joaquin & de Guevara, Juan Fernandez, 2007. "The cost of market power in banking: Social welfare loss vs. cost inefficiency," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 2103-2125, July.
- Juan Fernández De Guevara & Joaquín Maudos, 2007. "Explanatory Factors Of Market Power In The Banking System," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 75(3), pages 275-296, 06.
- Linda S. Goldberg, 2013. "Banking Globalization, Transmission, and Monetary Policy Autonomy," NBER Working Papers 19497, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Neugebauer, Katja & Schröder, Christoph, 2014.
"Changing forces of gravity: How the crisis affected international banking,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
14-006, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Claudia M. Buch & K. Neugebauer & C. Schröder, 2013. "Changing Forces of Gravity: How the Crisis Affected International Banking," IWH Discussion Papers 15, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Neugebauer, Katja & Schröder, Christoph, 2013. "Changing forces of gravity: How the crisis affected international banking," Discussion Papers 48/2013, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Claudia M. Buch & Katja Neugebauer & Christoph Schröder, 2013. "Changing Forces of Gravity: How the Crisis Affected International Banking," IAW Discussion Papers 100, Institut für Angewandte Wirtschaftsforschung (IAW).
- Hryckiewicz, Aneta, 2014. "Originators, traders, neutrals, and traditioners – various banking business models across the globe. Does the business model matter for financial stability?," MPRA Paper 55118, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Efthyvoulou, Georgios & Yildirim, Canan, 2014.
"Market power in CEE banking sectors and the impact of the global financial crisis,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 11-27.
- Georgios Efthyvoulou & Canan Yildirim, 2013. "Market Power in CEE Banking Sectors and the Impact of the Global Financial Crisis," CASE Network Studies and Analyses 0452, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Francesco Marchionne & Alberto Zazzaro, 2013. "Rischio e concorrenza nel sistema bancario italiano durante la crisi finanziaria globale," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 86, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Hakenes , Hendrik & Hasan, Iftekhar & Molyneux, Phil & Xie , Ru, 2014. "Small banks and local economic development," Research Discussion Papers 5/2014, Bank of Finland.
- Claudia M. Buch & Linda S. Goldberg, 2014.
"International Banking and Liquidity Risk Transmission: Lessons from Across Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
20286, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Goldberg, Linda S., 2014. "International banking and liquidity risk transmission: lessons from across countries," Staff Reports 675, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Fritsch, Michael & Kritikos, Alexander S. & Pijnenburg, Katharina, 2013. "Business Cycles, Unemployment and Entrepreneurial Entry: Evidence from Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 7852, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Linda S. Goldberg, 2013. "Banking globalization, transmission, and monetary policy autonomy," Staff Reports 640, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Koetter, Michael, 2013. "Market structure and competition in German banking: Modules I and IV," Working Papers 06/2013, German Council of Economic Experts / Sachverständigenrat zur Begutachtung der gesamtwirtschaftlichen Entwicklung.
- Theoharry Grammatikos, & Nikolaos I. Papanikolaou, 2013.
"What lies behind the (Too-Small-To-Survive) banks?,"
LSF Research Working Paper Series
13-12, Luxembourg School of Finance, University of Luxembourg.
- Grammatikos, Theoharry & Papanikolaou, Nikolaos I., 2013. "What lies behind the “too-small-to-survive” banks?," MPRA Paper 51431, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2013.
- Galema, Rients & Koetter, Michael & Liesegang, Caroline, 2013. "Cost leadership and bank internationalization," Discussion Papers 57/2013, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.