Equity Returns and Integration: Is Europe Changing?
AbstractThis paper analyses the consequences of the process of financial and economic integration on European equity markets. It documents significant changes in 'fundamentals', notably an increased synchronization of macroeconomic activities, and a non-negligible evolution in pricing, with a decrease in the cost of capital and converging equity premiums. As to equity returns themselves, in the face of what could turn out to be long-run upward trends in the correlations among both country and sector returns and a narrowing of the superiority of country factors, the benefits to be gained from finding diversification opportunities at a more disaggregated level appear to be higher than ever. Copyright 2004, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Review of Economic Policy.
Volume (Year): 20 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (Winter)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://oxrep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey & Christian T. Lundblad & Stephan Siegel, 2010.
"The European Union, the Euro, and Equity Market Integration,"
NBER Working Papers
16583, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R. & Lundblad, Christian T. & Siegel, Stephan, 2013. "The European Union, the Euro, and equity market integration," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 109(3), pages 583-603.
- Stephan Siegel & Christian Lundblad & Campbell R. Harvey & Geert Bekaert, 2011. "The European Union, the Euro, and Equity Market Integration," 2011 Meeting Papers 468, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Berger, Tino & Pozzi, Lorenzo, 2013. "Measuring time-varying financial market integration: An unobserved components approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 463-473.
- Siedschlag, Iulia, 2009.
"Macroeconomic Differentials and Adjustment in the Euro Area,"
RB2009/3/1, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Iulia Siedschlag, 2008. "Macroeconomic Differentials and Adjustment in the Euro Area," SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum, number 2008/3 edited by Morten Balling.
- Iulia Siedschlag, 2008. "Macroeconomic Differentials and Adjustment in the Euro Area," Chapters in SUERF Studies, SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- Iulia Traistaru-Siedschlag, 2006. "Macroeconomic Differentials and Adjustment in the Euro Area," Papers WP175, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Gianni De Nicolò & Luciana Juvenal, 2012.
"Financial Integration, Globalization, and Real Activity,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3737, CESifo Group Munich.
- De Nicolò, Gianni & Juvenal, Luciana, 2014. "Financial integration, globalization, and real activity," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 10(C), pages 65-75.
- Haselmann, Rainer & Herwartz, Helmut, 2008. "Portfolio performance and the Euro: Prospects for new potential EMU members," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 314-330, March.
- Gianni De NicolÃ³ & Alexander F. Tieman, 2006. "Economic Integration and Financial Stability," IMF Working Papers 06/296, International Monetary Fund.
- Barrett, Alan & Bergin, Adele & FitzGerald, John & Traistaru-Siedschlag, Iulia, 2006. "Economic Assessment of the Euro Area: Forecasts and Policy Analysis, Autumn Report 2006," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number sustat22, September.
- Philip Lane & Sébastien Wälti, 2006. "The Euro and Financial Integration," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp139, IIIS.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.