Seniority Rules and the Persistence of Unemployment
AbstractThe authors formulate a stochastic infinite-horizon insider-outsider model that is solved explicitly and used to investigate the consequences of alternative 'seniority' rules for wage and employment determination. The model is simple enough to allow analysis of several different institutional setups. Persistence (but not hysteresis) arises when employment affects the layoff and hiring priority of workers and their relative influence on union decisions. Persistence can arise both when layoffs are random and when there is a strict layoff order. Expected employment depends not only on employment in the previous period but on a longer history of shocks. Copyright 1994 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 46 (1994)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Eriksson, S. & Gottfries, N., 2000.
"Ranking of Job Applicants, On-the-Job Search and Persistent Unemployment,"
2000:3, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Eriksson, Stefan & Gottfries, Nils, 2005. "Ranking of job applicants, on-the-job search, and persistent unemployment," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 407-428, June.
- Eriksson, Stefan & Gottfries, Nils, 2000. "Ranking of Job Applicants, On-the-job Search and Persistent Unemployment," Working Paper Series 2000:3, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Eriksson, Stefan & Gottfries, Nils, 2000. "Ranking of job applicants, on-the-job search, and persistent unemployment," Working Paper Series 2000:8, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- De Paola, Maria & Scoppa, Vincenzo, 2005. "The Role of Family Ties in the Labour Market. An Interpretation Based on Efficiency Wage Theory," MPRA Paper 8956, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Matthias Messner & Mattias K. Polborn, 1999.
"Information and Dynamic Adjustment in Life Insurance Markets,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
9912, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Mattias K. Polborn & Mike Hoy & Asha Sadanand, 1999. "Information and Dynamic Adjustment in Life Insurance Markets," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 9911, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.