Strike and Lock-Out Threats and Fiscal Policy
AbstractThis paper suggests that a union's wage demands are not merely the outcome of maximizing the union's utility function subject to a labor-demand or minimum-profit constraint as the standard models of union behavior suggest, but tha t these wage demands also depend on the cost which the union can impo se on the firm through a strike and on the credibility of the strike threat. The firm, in turn, can affect the above costs by imposing a l ock out. The paper presents a model of wage formation under strike and lock-out threats and explores the implications for the effectiveness of fiscal policy. Copyright 1987 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 39 (1987)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Marika Karanassou & Hector Sala & Dennis Snower, 2007.
"The Macroeconomics of the Labor Market: Three Fundamental Views,"
Kiel Working Papers
1378, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Marika Karanassou & Hector Sala & Dennis Snower, 2007. "The macroeconomics of the labor market: three fundamental views," Portuguese Economic Journal, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 151-180, December.
- Marika Karanassou & Hector Sala & Dennis J. Snower, 2007. "The Macroeconomics of the Labor Market: Three Fundamental Views," Working Papers 585, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Marika Karanassou & Hèctor Sala & Dennis J. Snower, 2006. "The macroeconomics of the labor market: Three fundamental views," Working Papers CREAP2006-15, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Dec 2006.
- Karanassou, Marika & Sala, Hector & Snower, Dennis J., 2006. "The Macroeconomics of the Labor Market: Three Fundamental Views," IZA Discussion Papers 2480, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Karanassou, Marika & Snower, Dennis J., 2007.
"Characteristics of Unemployment Dynamics. The Chain Reaction Approach,"
205, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Snower, Dennis J. & Karanassou, Marika, 2000. "Characteristics of Unemployment Dynamics: The Chain Reaction Approach," IZA Discussion Papers 127, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.