Aggregation of Nonparametric Estimators for Volatility Matrix
AbstractAn aggregated method of nonparametric estimators based on time-domain and state-domain estimators is proposed and studied. To attenuate the curse of dimensionality, we propose a factor modeling strategy. We first investigate the asymptotic behavior of nonparametric estimators of the volatility matrix in the time domain and in the state domain. Asymptotic normality is separately established for nonparametric estimators in the time domain and state domain. These two estimators are asymptotically independent. Hence, they can be combined, through a dynamic weighting scheme, to improve the efficiency of volatility matrix estimation. The optimal dynamic weights are derived, and it is shown that the aggregated estimator uniformly dominates volatility matrix estimators using time-domain or state-domain smoothing alone. A simulation study, based on an essentially affine model for the term structure, is conducted, and it demonstrates convincingly that the newly proposed procedure outperforms both time- and state-domain estimators. Empirical studies further endorse the advantages of our aggregated method. Copyright , Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Econometrics in its journal Journal of Financial Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 5 ()
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://jfec.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Foster, Dean P & Nelson, Daniel B, 1996.
"Continuous Record Asymptotics for Rolling Sample Variance Estimators,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(1), pages 139-74, January.
- Dean P. Foster & Daniel B. Nelson, 1994. "Continuous Record Asymptotics for Rolling Sample Variance Estimators," NBER Technical Working Papers 0163, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gregory R. Duffee, 2002. "Term Premia and Interest Rate Forecasts in Affine Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(1), pages 405-443, 02.
- Jiang, George J. & Knight, John L., 1997. "A Nonparametric Approach to the Estimation of Diffusion Processes, With an Application to a Short-Term Interest Rate Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(05), pages 615-645, October.
- Härdle, Wolfgang & Herwartz, Helmut & Spokoiny, Vladimir G., 2001.
"Time inhomogeneous multiple volatility modelling,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
2001,7, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Wolfgang Haerdle & Helmut Herwartz & Volodia Spokoiny, 2000. "Time Inhomogeneous Multiple Volatility Modelling," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1429, Econometric Society.
- Federico M. Bandi & Peter C. B. Phillips, 2003.
"Fully Nonparametric Estimation of Scalar Diffusion Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 241-283, January.
- Federico M. Bandi & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2001. "Fully Nonparametric Estimation of Scalar Diffusion Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1332, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Arnak Dalalyan & Yury Kutoyants, 2003. "Asymptotically Efficient Estimation of the Derivative of the Invariant Density," Statistical Inference for Stochastic Processes, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 89-107, January.
- Engle, Robert F. & Ng, Victor K. & Rothschild, Michael, 1990.
"Asset pricing with a factor-arch covariance structure : Empirical estimates for treasury bills,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 213-237.
- Robert F. Engle & Victor Ng & Michael Rothschild, 1988. "Asset Pricing with a Factor Arch Covariance Structure: Empirical Estimates for Treasury Bills," NBER Technical Working Papers 0065, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Alexandre Scheinkman, Jose & Touzi, Nizar, 1998. "Spectral methods for identifying scalar diffusions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 1-32, June.
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine, 1996.
"Nonparametric Pricing of Interest Rate Derivative Securities,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(3), pages 527-60, May.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 1995. "Nonparametric Pricing of Interest Rate Derivative Securities," NBER Working Papers 5345, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vasicek, Oldrich Alfonso, 1977. "Abstract: An Equilibrium Characterization of the Term Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 627-627, November.
- Lars Peter Hansen & Jose Alexandre Scheinkman, 1993.
"Back to the Future: Generating Moment Implications for Continuous-Time Markov Processes,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0141, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Scheinkman, Jose Alexandre, 1995. "Back to the Future: Generating Moment Implications for Continuous-Time Markov Processes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 767-804, July.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia & Per A. Mykland, 2002.
"The Effects of Random and Discrete Sampling When Estimating Continuous-Time Diffusions,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0276, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yacine Ait--Sahalia & Per A. Mykland, 2003. "The Effects of Random and Discrete Sampling when Estimating Continuous--Time Diffusions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(2), pages 483-549, March.
- Cheridito, Patrick & Filipovic, Damir & Kimmel, Robert L., 2007. "Market price of risk specifications for affine models: Theory and evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 123-170, January.
- Olivier Ledoit & Michael Wolf, 2001.
"Improved estimation of the covariance matrix of stock returns with an application to portofolio selection,"
Economics Working Papers
586, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Ledoit, Olivier & Wolf, Michael, 2003. "Improved estimation of the covariance matrix of stock returns with an application to portfolio selection," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 603-621, December.
- Darrell Duffie & Rui Kan, 1996. "A Yield-Factor Model Of Interest Rates," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(4), pages 379-406.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Stanton, Richard, 1997. " A Nonparametric Model of Term Structure Dynamics and the Market Price of Interest Rate Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(5), pages 1973-2002, December.
- Gobet, Emmanuel & Hoffmann, Marc & Reiß, Markus, 2002. "Nonparametric estimation of scalar diffusions based on low frequency data is ill-posed," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2002,57, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Fan J. & Zhang C., 2003. "A Reexamination of Diffusion Estimators With Applications to Financial Model Validation," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 98, pages 118-134, January.
- Chen, Song Xi & Gao, Jiti & Tang, Chenghong, 2005. "A test for model specification of diffusion processes," MPRA Paper 11976, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Feb 2007.
- Bandi, Federico & Moloche, Guillermo, 2008. "On the functional estimation of multivariate diffusion processes," MPRA Paper 43681, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.