Least Squares Predictions and Mean-Variance Analysis
AbstractWe compare the Sharpe ratios of traders who combine one riskless and one risky asset following (i) buy and hold strategies; (ii) timing strategies with forecasts from simple; or (iii) multiple regressions; and (iv) passive allocations of (i) and (ii) with mean-variance optimizers. We show that (iv) implicitly uses the linear forecasting rule that maximizes the Sharpe ratio of managed portfolios, but the remaining rankings are unclear. We also suggest generalized method of moments (GMM) estimators to make (iv) operational and evaluate their significance with spanning tests. Finally, we characterize the equivalence between (iii) and (iv), and propose moment tests to assess it. Copyright 2005, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Econometrics in its journal Journal of Financial Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 3 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://jfec.oxfordjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Enrique Sentana & Enrique Sentana, 1999. "Least Squares Predictions and Mean-Variance Analysis," FMG Discussion Papers dp312, Financial Markets Group.
- Sentana, Enrique, 1999. "Least Squares Predictions and Mean-Variance Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 2088, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sentana, E., 1997. "Least Squares Predictions and Mean-Variance Analysis," Papers 9711, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chen, Zhiwu & Knez, Peter J, 1996. "Portfolio Performance Measurement: Theory and Applications," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(2), pages 511-55.
- Arellano, Manuel, 1989. "On the efficient estimation of simultaneous equations with covariance restrictions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 247-265, October.
- Sanford J Grossman & Joseph E Stiglitz, 1997.
"On the Impossibility of Informationally Efficient Markets,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1908, David K. Levine.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1980. "On the Impossibility of Informationally Efficient Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 393-408, June.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Richard, Scott F, 1987. "The Role of Conditioning Information in Deducing Testable," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 587-613, May.
- Admati, Anat R & Pfleiderer, Paul, 1990. "Direct and Indirect Sale of Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(4), pages 901-28, July.
- Francisco Peñaranda & Enrique Sentana, 2008.
"Spanning tests in return and stochastic discount factor mean-variance frontiers: A unifying approach,"
Economics Working Papers
1101, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Sep 2010.
- Peñaranda, Francisco & Sentana, Enrique, 2012. "Spanning tests in return and stochastic discount factor mean–variance frontiers: A unifying approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 170(2), pages 303-324.
- Francisco Peñaranda & Enrique Sentana, 2004. "Spanning Tests In Return And Stochastic Discount Factor Mean-Variance Frontiers: A Unifying Approach," Working Papers wp2004_0410, CEMFI.
- Peñaranda, Francisco & Sentana, Enrique, 2004. "Spanning Tests in Return and Stochastic Discount Factor Mean Variance Frontiers: A Unifying Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 4422, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Enrique Sentana & Francisco Penaranda, 2004. "Spanning Tests in Return and Stochastic Discount Factor Mean-Variance Frontiers: A Unifying Approach," FMG Discussion Papers dp497, Financial Markets Group.
- Patton, Andrew J. & Timmermann, Allan, 2007.
"Properties of optimal forecasts under asymmetric loss and nonlinearity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 884-918, October.
- Allan Timmermann & Andrew Patton, 2004. "Properties of Optimal Forecasts under Asymmetric Loss and Nonlinearity," Working Papers wp04-05, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Enrique Sentana, 2009.
"The econometrics of mean-variance efficiency tests: a survey,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 12(3), pages C65-C101, November.
- Enrique Sentana, 2008. "The Econometrics Of Mean-Variance Efficiency Tests: A Survey," Working Papers wp2008_0807, CEMFI.
- Allan Timmermann & Andrew J. Patton, 2004.
"Properties of Optimal Forecasts,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings
234, Econometric Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.