The Determinants of Livestock Prices in Niger
AbstractNot only does livestock make an important contribution to rural incomes and export earnings in the Sahel, it is also kept as insurance against weather risk. Fluctuations in livestock prices can therefore trigger food entitlement failures. Using monthly price data from Niger, we show that livestock prices respond to droughts and pasture availability. They are also exposed to aggregate shifts in export revenues and meat demand that affect Niger and its southern neighbor Nigeria. These shifts add an important element of risk to the livelihood of Sahelian farmers and pastoralists. Famine early-warning systems should keep an eye not only on weather shocks but also on macroeconomic conditions and other factors affecting the livestock economy. Copyright 1997 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE) in its journal Journal of African Economies.
Volume (Year): 6 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Phone: +44-(0)1865 271084
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.jae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Frederic Zimmerman & MICHAEL R. CARTER, .
"Asset Smoothing, Consumption Smoothing and the Reproduction for Inequality under Risk and Subsistence Constraints,"
Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers
402, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- Zimmerman, Frederick J. & Carter, Michael R., 2003. "Asset smoothing, consumption smoothing and the reproduction of inequality under risk and subsistence constraints," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 233-260, August.
- Barrett, Christopher B. & Luseno, Winnie K., 2004.
"Decomposing producer price risk: a policy analysis tool with an application to northern Kenyan livestock markets,"
Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 393-405, August.
- Barrett, Christopher B. & Luseno, Winnie K., 2002. "Decomposing Producer Price Risk: A Policy Analysis Tool With An Application To Northern Kenyan Livestock Markets," Working Papers 14753, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Udry, Christopher & Czukas, Katherine, 1998.
"Drought and saving in West Africa: are livestock a buffer stock?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 273-305, April.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Chris Udry & Katherine Czukas, . "Drought and Saving in West Africa: Are Livestock a Buffer Stock?," Working Papers 97013, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Marijke Verpoorten, 2007.
"Household Coping in war- and peacetime: cattle sales in Rwanda, 1991-2001,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
18907, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Verpoorten, Marijke, 2009. "Household coping in war- and peacetime: Cattle sales in Rwanda, 1991-2001," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 67-86, January.
- Marijke Verpoorten, 2007. "Household coping in war- and peacetime: cattle sales in Rwanda, 1991-2001," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces0727, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Barrett, Christopher B. & Luseno, Winnie K., 2001. "Decomposing Producer Price Risk: An Analysis Of Livestock Markets In Northern Kenya," 2001 Annual Meeting, July 8-11, 2001, Logan, Utah 36154, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Baldwin, Katherine L. & DeVeau, Vanessa & Foster, Kenneth A. & Marshall, Maria I., 2008. "Traits Affecting Household Marketing Decisions in Rural Kenya," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6445, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Christopher B. Barrett & Francis Chabari & DeeVon Bailey & Peter D. Little & D. Layne Coppock, 2003.
"Livestock Pricing in the Northern Kenyan Rangelands,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 12(2), pages 127-155, June.
- Barrett, Christopher B. & Chabari, Francis & Bailey, DeeVon & Coppock, D. Layne & Little, Peter D., 2001. "Livestock Pricing In The Northern Kenyan Rangelands," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20460, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- WALTHER Olivier, 2012. "Regional trade and economic networks in West Africa," CEPS/INSTEAD Working Paper Series 2012-07, CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Karen Eggleston & Robert Jensen & Richard Zeckhauser, 2002. "Information and Communication Technologies, Markets and Economic Development," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 0203, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Turner, Matthew D. & Williams, Timothy O., 2002. "Livestock Market Dynamics and Local Vulnerabilities in the Sahel," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 683-705, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.