The Impact of Deregulation on the Production Structure of the Motor Carrier Industry
AbstractEmpirical analysis of the motor carrier industry pre- and postregulatory reform reveals that deregulation resulted in significant changes in firm production structure and lower real average costs. Translog cost functions for firms operating in 1977 and 1983 were estimated and compared for "other specialized commodity" carriers. Fitted average costs were computed from these functions and real costs that cannot be attributed to technological changes but rather suggest efficiency gains. The results also suggest that it is inappropriate to predict outcomes of deregulation using empirical analyses of firms in the regulated environment. Copyright 1988 by Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Economic Association International in its journal Economic Inquiry.
Volume (Year): 26 (1988)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://ei.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- McCarthy, Patrick S, 1995. "The 1982 Surface Transportation Assistance Act (STAA): Implications of relaxed truck weight and size limits for highway safety," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 107-117, April.
- Forkenbrock, David J., 2001. "Comparison of external costs of rail and truck freight transportation," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 321-337, May.
- Andrikopoulos, Andreas A. & Prodromidis, Kyprianos P. & Serletis, Apostolos, 1998. "Electoral and Partisan Cycle Regularities: A Cointegration Test," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 119-140, April.
- Guasch, J Luis & Hahn, Robert W, 1999.
"The Costs and Benefits of Regulation: Implications for Developing Countries,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 14(1), pages 137-58, February.
- Guasch, J. Luis & Hahn, Robert W., 1999. "The Costs and Benefits of Regulation: Implications for Developing Countries," Working paper 120, Regulation2point0.
- Guasch, J. Luis & Hahn, Robert W., 1997. "The costs and benefits of regulation : implications for developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1773, The World Bank.
- Forkenbrock, David J., 1999. "External costs of intercity truck freight transportation," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 33(7-8), pages 505-526.
- Ovtchinnikov, Alexei V., 2010. "Capital structure decisions: Evidence from deregulated industries," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 249-274, February.
- Dimitris Christopoulos & John Loizides & Efthymios G. Tsionas, 2001. "Efficiency in European railways: Not as inefficient as one might think," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 63-88, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.