A political-economic analysis of the failure of neo-liberal restructuring in post-crisis Korea
AbstractThis paper evaluates IMF-led neo-liberal restructuring in post-crisis Korea. The main conclusions are that: the economic rebound in 1999--2000 was both incomplete and unsustainable; restructuring created a ongoing credit crunch that continues to constrain investment spending; Korea may have been pushed onto a long-term low-investment, low-growth trajectory; insecurity and inequality have risen substantially; and the influence of foreign capital has dramatically increased. The paper concludes by suggesting that Koreans should reject radical neo-liberal restructuring and consider instead reforms to democratise and modernise their traditional state-guided growth model. Copyright 2002, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Cambridge Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 26 (2002)
Issue (Month): 5 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.cje.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ozlem Onaran, 2004. "Life After Crisis For Labor And Capital in the Era of Neoliberal Globalization," Working Papers geewp43, Vienna University of Economics Research Group: Growth and Employment in Europe: Sustainability and Competitiveness.
- Ozlem Onaran, 2005. "Distribution and Globalization: A Wage Bargaining Model," Working Papers geewp48, Vienna University of Economics Research Group: Growth and Employment in Europe: Sustainability and Competitiveness.
- Jai S. Mah, 2003. "The Restructuring in the Post-Crisis Korean Economy," Working papers 2003-46, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Chai, D.H., 2010. "The Impact of Foreign Corporate Ownership on Downsizing and Labour Cost," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp402, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- David Hundt, 2005. "A Legitimate Paradox: Neo-liberal Reform and the Return of the State in Korea," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(2), pages 242-260.
- Ozlem Onaran, 2009.
"Wage share, globalization and crisis: the case of the manufacturing industry in Korea, Mexico and Turkey,"
International Review of Applied Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(2), pages 113-134.
- Özlem Onaran, 2007. "Wage Share, Globalization, and Crisis: The Case of the Manufacturing Industry in Korea, Mexico, and Turkey," Working Papers wp132, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.