Brand Inertia in U.S. Household Cheese Consumption
AbstractTo analyze U.S. consumers' brand choices for cheese purchases, we derive a set of discrete-choice models from dynamic utility maximization. ACNielsen Homescan Survey data on U.S. households is used to estimate a dynamic probit model for each of the top brands for cheddar, shredded, and sliced cheese in four U.S. regions. We find that households have strong brand inertia, a result robust across alternative specifications. Predicted probabilities confirm greater inertia in the top brands and consumers are more likely to switch into them. Brand inertia is relatively larger in cheddar and sliced cheese especially in the Central and Southeast regions. Copyright 2008, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 90 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chen Zhen & Justin L. Taylor & Mary K. Muth & Ephraim Leibtag, 2009. "Understanding Differences in Self-Reported Expenditures between Household Scanner Data and Diary Survey Data: A Comparison of Homescan and Consumer Expenditure Survey," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 31(3), pages 470-492, 09.
- Beach, Robert H. & Zhen, Chen, 2009.
"Consumer Purchasing Behavior in Response to Media Coverage of Avian Influenza,"
2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China
51742, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Beach, Robert H. & Zhen, Chen, 2008. "Consumer Purchasing Behavior in Response to Media Coverage of Avian Influenza," 2008 Annual Meeting, February 2-6, 2008, Dallas, Texas 6750, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Zhuang, Yan & Dimitri, Carolyn & Jaenicke, Edward C., 2010. "Price Reactions And Organic Price Premiums For Private Label And Branded Milk," 115th Joint EAAE/AAEA Seminar, September 15-17, 2010, Freising-Weihenstephan, Germany 116388, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Zakaria Babutsidze & Robin Cowan, 2011. "Word-of-mouth interaction and the organization of behaviour," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2011-11, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Bouhlal, Yasser & Capps, Oral Jr. & Ishdorj, Ariun, 2013. "Estimating the Censored Demand for U.S. Cheese Varieties Using Panel Data: Impact of Economic and Demographic Factors," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 151298, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Gorton, Matthew & Sauer, Johannes & Supatpongkul, Pajaree, 2009. "Investigating Thai Shopping Behaviour: Wet-Markets, Supermarkets and Food Quality," 83rd Annual Conference, March 30-April 1, 2009, Dublin, Ireland 51054, Agricultural Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.