Measuring the Impact of Meat Packing and Processing Facilities in Nonmetropolitan Counties: A Difference-in-Differences Approach
AbstractConsiderable controversy exists regarding the costs and benefits of growth in the meat packing and processing industry for rural counties. This study investigates the effects of this industry on social and economic outcomes in nonmetropolitan counties of 23 Midwestern and Southern states from 1990 to 2000. Results suggest that as the meat packing industry's share of a county's total employment and wage bill rises, total employment growth increases. However, employment growth in other sectors slows, as does local wage growth. Industry growth has little impact on local crime rates or on growth of government spending on education, health, or police protection. Copyright 2007, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 89 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Artz, Georgeanne M. & Jackson, Rebecca & Orazem, Peter F., 2010.
"Is It a Jungle Out There? Meat Packing, Immigrants, and Rural Communities,"
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 35(2), August.
- Artz, Georgeanne M. & Jackson, Rebecca & Orazem, Peter, 2010. "Is It a Jungle Out There?: Meat Packing, Immigrants and Rural Communities," Staff General Research Papers 12966, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Daniel C. Monchuk & Dermot J. Hayes & John A. Miranowski & Dayton M. Lambert, 2011.
"Inference Based On Alternative Bootstrapping Methods In Spatial Models With An Application To County Income Growth In The United States,"
Journal of Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(5), pages 880-896, December.
- Daniel C. Monchuk & Dermot J. Hayes & John Miranowski & Dayton M. Lambert, 2010. "Inference Based on Alternative Bootstrapping Methods in Spatial Models with an Application to County Income Growth in the United States," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 10-wp507, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Daniel C. Monchuk & Dermot J. Hayes & John Miranowski, 2008. "Inference Based on Alternative Bootstrapping Methods in Spatial Models with an Application to County Income Growth in the United States," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 08-wp471, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Monchuk, Daniel C. & Hayes, Dermot J. & Miranowski, John & Lambert, Dayton, 2013. "Inference Based on Alternative Bootstrapping Methods in Spatial Models with an Application to County Income Growth in the United States," Staff General Research Papers 36121, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Partridge, Mark D. & Olfert, M. Rose & Ali, Kamar, 2009. "Towards a Rural Development Policy: Lessons from the United States and Canada," Journal of Regional Analysis and Policy, Mid-Continent Regional Science Association, vol. 39(2).
- Sneeringer, Stacy E. & Hertz, Thomas, 2010. "Local Effects of Hog Production on Farm and Non-Farm Economic Outcomes," 2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado 61463, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Maureen Kilkenny, 2010. "Urban/Regional Economics And Rural Development," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(1), pages 449-470.
- Elena G. Irwin & Andrew M. Isserman & Maureen Kilkenny & Mark D. Partridge, 2010. "A Century of Research on Rural Development and Regional Issues," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(2), pages 522-553.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.