Induced Innovation in United States Agriculture, 1880–1990: Time Series Tests and an Error Correction Model
AbstractAn error correction model (ECM) of induced innovation, based on the two-stage CES production function allows direct tests of the inducement hypothesis, which are applied to U.S. data for 1880–1990. The time series properties of the variables include a structural break in 1920, cointegration is established and an ECM constructed, which allows factor substitution to be separated from technological change. Causality tests show that the factor-price ratios and R&D are Granger-prior to the factor-saving biases of technological change. The inducement hypothesis is corroborated, and identified as one factor in the complex development of U.S. agriculture. Copyright 2002, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 84 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Benson, Aaron & Shumway, C. Richard, 2005. "Induced Innovation or a Paradox of Environmental Regulation?," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19450, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Yucan Liu & C. Richard Shumway, 2008.
"Induced Innovation in U.S. Agriculture: Time-series, Direct Econometric, and Nonparametric Tests,"
2008-3, School of Economic Sciences, Washington State University.
- Yucan Liu & C. Richard Shumway, 2009. "Induced Innovation in U.S. Agriculture: Time-series, Direct Econometric, and Nonparametric Tests," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(1), pages 224-236.
- Roberto ESPOSTI & Pierpaolo PIERANI, 2006.
"Price-Induced Technical Progress in Italian Agriculture,"
275, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Roberto Esposti & Pierpaolo Pierani, 2008. "Price-induced technical progress in Italian agriculture," Review of Agricultural and Environmental Studies - Revue d'Etudes en Agriculture et Environnement, INRA Department of Economics, vol. 89(4), pages 5-28.
- Shumway, C. Richard & Liu, Yucan, 2006. "Induced Innovation in the Agricultural Sector: Evidence From a State Panel," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21089, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Esposti, Roberto & Pierani, Pierpaolo, 2005. "Price-Induced Technological Change in Italian Agriculture: An SGM Restricted Cost Function Approach (1951-91)," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24662, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Yucan Liu & C. Richard Shumway & Robert Rosenman & V. Eldon Ball, 2008.
"Productivity Growth and Convergence in U.S. Agriculture: New Cointegration Panel Data Results,"
2008-4, School of Economic Sciences, Washington State University.
- Yucan Liu & C. Richard Shumway & Robert Rosenman & Virgil Eldon Ball, 2011. "Productivity growth and convergence in US agriculture: new cointegration panel data results," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(1), pages 91-102.
- MacDonald, James M., 2011. "Why Are Farms Getting Larger? The Case Of The U.S," 51st Annual Conference, Halle, Germany, September 28-30, 2011 115361, German Association of Agricultural Economists (GEWISOLA).
- Coleman, Jane A. & Shaik, Saleem, 2009. "Time-Varying Estimation of Crop Insurance Program in Altering North Dakota Farm Economic Structure," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49516, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Orachos Napasintuwong Artachinda, 2011. "Modeling Directions of Technical Change in Agricultural Sector," Working Papers 201101, Kasetsart University, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Saito, Yoko & Saito, Hisamitsu & Kondo, Takumi & Osanami, Fumio, 2009. "Quality-oriented technical change in Japanese wheat breeding," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(8), pages 1365-1375, October.
- Baldi, Lucia & Casati, Dario, 2005. "Induced Innovation in Italy: An Error Correction Model for the Period 1968-2002," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24590, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.