Consumption of Economic Information in Agriculture
AbstractWe develop a model of decision makers' demand for agricultural economic information services. This modeltreats choice of externaldecision-support services as a function of actors' assessment of how alternative investments in information complement their internal competencies. Data from a survey in four commodity systems are used to evaluate hypotheses as to how human capital, and functional role of actors in commodity systems affect demand for variously formatted information. By focusing on three axes of heterogeneity—diversity among decision makers, information service providers, and information—we are able to identify key structuraland functional relationships in agricultural economic information systems. Copyright 2002, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 84 (2002)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Enid Katungi & Svetlana Edmeades & Melinda Smale, 2008.
"Gender, social capital and information exchange in rural Uganda,"
Journal of International Development,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(1), pages 35-52.
- Katungi, Enid & Edmeades, Svetlana & Smale, Melinda, 2006. "Gender, social capital and information exchange in rural Uganda:," CAPRi working papers 59, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Isengildina, Olga & Irwin, Scott H. & Good, Darrel L., 2005.
"The Value of USDA Situation and Outlook Information in Hog and Cattle Markets,"
2005 Conference, April 18-19, 2005, St. Louis, Missouri
19050, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Good, Darrel L. & Irwin, Scott H. & Isengildina, Olga, 2006. "The Value of USDA Situation and Outlook Information in Hog and Cattle Markets," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 31(02), August.
- Isengildina-Massa, Olga & Irwin, Scott H. & Good, Darrel L. & Gomez, Jennifer K., 2008. "The Impact of Situation and Outlook Information in Corn and Soybean Futures Markets: Evidence from WASDE Reports," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 40(01), April.
- Boisvert, Richard N., 2002. "Analysis of a Re-Focused Agricultural Policy within a Farm-Household Framework Some Data Requirements," Workshop on the Farm Household-Firm Unit: Its Importance in Agriculture and Implications for Statistics, April 12-13, 2002, Wye Campus,Imperial College 15727, International Agricultural Policy Reform and Adjustment Project (IAPRAP).
- Olga Isengildina-Massa & Scott H. Irwin & Darrel L. Good & Jennifer K. Gomez, 2008. "Impact of WASDE reports on implied volatility in corn and soybean markets," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(4), pages 473-490.
- Jenkins, Amanda & Velandia, Margarita M. & Lambert, Dayton M. & Roberts, Roland K. & Larson, James A. & English, Burton C. & Martin, Steven W., 2011. "Factors Influencing the Selection of Precision Farming Information Sources by Cotton Producers," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 40(2), August.
- Poon, Kenneth & Weersink, Alfons & Deaton, Brady J., Jr., 2011. "Demand and Supply Analysis of Farm, Farmer and Farm Family Data," Working Papers 114094, Structure and Performance of Agriculture and Agri-products Industry (SPAA).
- Velandia, Margarita M. & Lambert, Dayton M. & Jenkins, Amanda & Roberts, Roland K. & Larson, James A. & English, Burton C. & Martin, Steven W., 2009. "Factors Influencing Selection of Information Sources by Cotton Producers Considering Adoption of Precision Agriculture Technologies," 2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 49326, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Steiner, Bodo, 2006. "Governance Reform of German food safety regulation: Cosmetic or real?," MPRA Paper 26252, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Labarthe, Pierre, 2005. "Performance of Services: A Framework to Assess Farm Extension Services," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24712, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.