Agricultural Graduate Earnings: The Impacts of College, Career, and Gender
AbstractSurvey data were used to identify determinants of starting and current salaries of agricultural graduates from Kansas State University from 1976–97. Salaries were significantly influenced by major field, advanced degrees, job location, gender and family variables, motivation for accepting a job, and job mobility. Salary structures were estimated separately for male and female alumni. Women earned less than men, after controlling for observed differences between the two groups. Decomposition of the salary differential revealed that gender salary differences were primarily due to differences between sexes in starting salaries, field of study, job experience, and higher returns to married men. Copyright 1999, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 81 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- McGraw, Katherine & Popp, Jennie S. Hughes & Dixon, Bruce L. & Newton, Doris J., 2012. "Factors Influencing Job Choice among Agricultural Economics Professionals," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 44(02), May.
- Manuel Carvajal, 2006. "Economic grounds for affirmative action: The evidence on architects and engineers in South Florida," Review of Social Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 64(4), pages 515-538.
- Srivastava, Lorie & Thilmany, Dawn D., 2000. "Agricultural Economists' Performance And Pay: An Analysis Of Land Grant University Salaries," 2000 Annual Meeting, June 29-July 1, 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia 36511, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Qenani-Petrela, Eivis & Wolf, Marianne McGarry, 2007. "Differential Earnings of the Agricultural Graduates: New Evidence from the Agribusiness Industry," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 10(02).
- Barkley, Andrew P. & Biere, Arlo W., 2001. "Does Undergraduate Major Matter? Differences In Salaries And Satisfaction Levels Of Agribusiness And Agricultural Economics Majors At Kansas State University," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 4(02).
- Noel, Jay E. & Qenani, Eivis, 2012. "New Age, New Learners, New Skills: What Skills Do Graduates Need to Succeed in the New Economy?," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 123948, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Noel, Jay & Qenani, Eivis, 2013. "New Age, New Learners, New Skills: What Skills Do Agribusiness Graduates Need to Succeed in the Knowledge Economy?," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 16(3).
- Harris, Kim & Kuhns, Nick, 2003. "Factors Affecting Earnings Of Southern Illinois University Agribusiness Economics Graduates: The Non-Land-Grant Experience," 2003 Annual Meeting, February 1-5, 2003, Mobile, Alabama 35065, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Barkley, Andrew P., 2001. "The Future Of Teaching Undergraduate Agricultural Economics: Lifelong Learning In An Era Of Rapid Technological Change," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(01), July.
- Barkley, Andrew P., 2000. "Teaching Agricultural Economics," 2000 Annual Meeting, June 29-July 1, 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia 36472, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Wolf, Marianne McGarry & Qenani-Petrela, Eivis, 2004. "An Examination of Gender Wage Differences Among Graduates of the Agribusiness Department, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, California," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20412, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.