Rural Manufacturing on the Crest of the Wave: A Count Data Analysis of Technology Use
AbstractThis study compares the extent of technology use by rural and urban manufacturing plants. Count data regression models explain technology use as a function of rural-urban indicator variables, plant characteristics, and location characteristics. The results show no difference in technology use due to rural-urban location. Characteristics of nonmetro plants, including size, prevalency of branch plants, and nature of production process, tend to raise nonmetro manufacturing technology use. Lower nonmetro schooling levels, an older labor force, and mix of industries with low technology use tend to reduce technology use in nonmetro areas. Copyright 1998, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 80 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Baldwin, John R. Sabourin, David, 2002. "Enhancing Food Safety and Productivity: Technology Use in the Canadian Food Processing Industry," Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series 2002168e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Amarender Reddy, A. & Bantilan, Ma Cynthia S., 2012. "Competitiveness and technical efficiency: Determinants in the groundnut oil sector of India," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 255-263.
- Mishra, Ashok K. & Park, Timothy A., 2005. "An Empirical Analysis of Internet Use by U.S. Farmers," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 34(2), October.
- Pruitt, J. Ross & Gillespie, Jeffrey M. & Nehring, Richard F. & Qushim, Berdikul, 2012. "Adoption of Technology, Management Practices, and Production Systems by U.S. Beef Cow-Calf Producers," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 44(02), May.
- Galliano, Danielle & Orozco, L., 2008. "Intra and Inter organisational determinants of electronic-based traceability adoption: evidences from the French agri-food industry," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium 43952, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Danielle Galliano & Luis Orozco, 2013.
"New technologies and firm organization : the case of electronic traceability systems in French agribusiness,"
- Danielle Galliano & Luis Orozco, 2013. "New Technologies and Firm Organization: The Case of Electronic Traceability Systems in French Agribusiness," Industry & Innovation, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 20(1), pages 22-47, January.
- Rahelizatovo, Noro C. & Gillespie, Jeffrey M., 2004. "The Adoption of Best-Management Practices by Louisiana Dairy Producers," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(01), April.
- Baldwin, John R. Sabourin, David, 2002. "Ameliorer la salubrite des aliments et la productivite : utilisation de la technologie dans le secteur de la transformation des aliments au Canada," Direction des etudes analytiques : documents de recherche 2002168f, Statistics Canada, Direction des etudes analytiques.
- Galliano, D. & Roux, P., 2005.
"The evolution of the spatial digital divide : from internet adoption to internet use by french industrial firms,"
Economics Working Paper Archive (Toulouse)
200513, French Institute for Agronomy Research (INRA), Economics Laboratory in Toulouse (ESR Toulouse).
- Danielle GALLIANO (LEREPS-GRES & INRA-ETIC ) & Pascale ROUX (ADIS, Université Paris Sud ), 2005. "The evolution of the spatial digital divide: From internet adoption to internet use by french industrial firms," Cahiers du GRES 2005-25, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Danielle Galliano & Pascale Roux, 2006. "Les inégalités spatiales dans l'usage des tic. Le cas des firmes industrielles françaises," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 57(6), pages 1449-1475.
- Zhang, Feng & Park, Timothy A., 2004. "Computer Adoption Patterns Of U.S. Small Businesses," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20250, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.