Knowledge Capital and Cost Structure in the U.S. Food and Fiber Industries
AbstractWe explore the existence and extent of scale economies arising from three different external “knowledge capital” factors—investments in R&D, high-tech, and human capital. These relationships are evaluated for the (two- and three-digit level) food and fiber processing industries from the 1960s through the 1980s. The results generate strong evidence of scale economies but also suggest that the three knowledge capital factors have tended to reduce input use (and thus costs) for all privately demanded factors. The impacts on private capital are particularly large, although human capital appears to have a relatively large impact on labor use in the textiles industry. Copyright 1998, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Agricultural and Applied Economics Association in its journal American Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 80 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tveteras, Ragnar, 1999. "Learning And Technology Spillover: Productivity Convergence In Norwegian Salmon Aquaculture," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21651, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jeffrey Bernstein & Theofanis Mamuneas, 2008.
"Public infrastructure, input efficiency and productivity growth in the Canadian food processing industry,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 1-13, February.
- Jeffrey I. Bernstein & Theofanis P. Mamuneas, 2007. "Public Infrastructure, Input Efficiency and Productivity Growth in the Canadian Food Processing Industry," Working Papers 0703, Florida International University, Department of Economics.
- Esposti, Roberto & Pierani, Pierpaolo, 2002. "Public R&D Investment and Cost Behaviour in Italian Agriculture: 1960-1995," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24974, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Esposti, Roberto & Pierani, Pierpaolo, 2003. "Public R&D Investment From Private And Social Perspective. An Application To Italian Agriculture, 1960-1995," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25876, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Roberto Esposti, 2003.
"Public R&D investment and cost structure in Italian agriculture, 1960--1995,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 30(4), pages 509-537, December.
- Roberto ESPOSTI & Pierpaolo PIERANI, 2002. "Public R&D Investment and Cost Structure in Italian Agriculture 1960-1995," Working Papers 176, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Morrison Paul, Catherine J., 2000. "Productivity And Efficiency In The U.S. Food System, Or, Might Cost Factors Support Increasing Mergers And Concentration?," Working Papers 11983, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Catherine Morrison Paul, 2003. "Productivity and Efficiency Measurement in Our “New Economy”: Determinants, Interactions, and Policy Relevance," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 161-177, April.
- Roberto ESPOSTI & Pierpaolo PIERANI, 2001. "Building the Knowledge Stock: Lags, Depreciation and Uncertainty in Agricultural R&D," Working Papers 145, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Roberto ESPOSTI & Pierpaolo PIERANI, 2005. "Price, Private Demand and Optimal Provision of Public R&D in Italian Agriculture," Working Papers 238, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.