Trade-Enhancing EU Enlargement and the Resurgence of East-East Trade
AbstractThis article uses the episode of EU enlargement in 2004 as a natural experiment to identify the trade effect of declining border barriers across otherwise well integrated markets. Despite the fact that traditional trade policy measures (tariffs, quantitative restrictions) were already eliminated for most industrial goods in trade between the pre-enlargement EU-15 countries and eight of the countries that entered the EU in 2004 (EU-8)2 as well as among the EU-8 themselves, EU enlargement is shown to have caused a significant trade creation. The effect was most pronounced for trade among EU-8 countries, with a magnitude of 4% to 9% in ad valorem tariff-equivalent terms. Technology-intensive industries benefitted most strongly from enlargement, and a significant anticipatory effect can also be detected for 2003. These findings highlight the importance of non-policy related border barriers to trade and may also prove useful in assessing the potential for trade integration in the current EU candidate countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank) in its journal Focus on European Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Postal: Oesterreichische Nationalbank, Documentation Management and Communications Services, Otto-Wagner Platz 3, A-1090 Vienna, Austria
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luca De Benedictis & Roberta De Santis & Claudio Vicarelli, 2005.
"Hub-and-Spoke or else? Free trade agreements in the “enlarged” European Union,"
ISAE Working Papers
52, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Luca De Benedictis & Roberta De Santis & Claudio Vicarelli, 2005. "Hub-and-Spoke or else? Free trade agreements in the 'enlarged' European Union," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 2(2), pages 245-260, December.
- Bussière, Matthieu & Fidrmuc, Jarko & Schnatz, Bernd, 2005.
"Trade integration of Central and Eastern European countries: lessons from a gravity model,"
Working Paper Series
0545, European Central Bank.
- Fidrmuc, Jarko & Schnatz, Bernd & Bussière, Matthieu, 2005. "Trade Integration of Central and Eastern European Countries: Lessons from a Gravity Model," Working Papers 105, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Cecília Hornok, 2012.
"Gravity or Dummies? The Limits of Identification in Gravity Estimations,"
CEU Working Papers
2012_11, Department of Economics, Central European University, revised 20 May 2012.
- Cecília Hornok, 2011. "Gravity or Dummies? The Limits of Identification in Gravity Estimations," CeFiG Working Papers 15, Center for Firms in the Global Economy, revised 26 Sep 2011.
- Cecília Hornok, 2012.
"Need for Speed: Is Faster Trade in the EU Trade-creating?,"
MNB Working Papers
2012/4, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (the central bank of Hungary).
- Cecília Hornok, 2011. "Need for Speed: Is Faster Trade in the EU Trade-Creating?," wiiw Working Papers 75, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Hornok, Cecília, 2011. "Need for Speed: Is Faster Trade in the EU Trade-creating?," CEPR Discussion Papers 8451, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann D. & Florian Johannsen, 2012.
"Foreign Aid, Exports And Development In Euromed,"
Middle East Development Journal (MEDJ),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 4(02), pages 1250007-1-1.
- Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Felicitas Nowak-Lehmann D. & Florian Johannsen, 2012. "Foreign Aid, Exports and Development in Euromed," Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers 218, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Inmaculada Martínez-Zarzoso & Anca M. Voicu & Martina Vidovic, 2012.
"CEECS integration into regional production networks. Trade effects of EU-accesion,"
2012/04, Economics Department, Universitat Jaume I, Castellón (Spain).
- Martínez-Zarzoso, Inmaculada & Voicu, Anca M. & Vidovic, Martina, 2011. "CEECs Integration into Regional Production Networks. Trade Effects of EU-Accession," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2011 55, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Gábor HUNYA & Sándor RICHTER, 2011. "Mutual trade and investment of the Visegrad countries before and after their EU accession," Eastern Journal of European Studies, Centre for European Studies, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, vol. 2, pages 77-91, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Birgit Riedler).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.