Profit Taxation And The Elasticity Of The Corporate Income Tax Base: Evidence From German Corporate Tax Return Data
AbstractThis paper estimates the elasticity of corporate taxable income with respect to the average corporate tax rate. To control for the endogeneity of the tax rate, we use an instrumental variable approach, calculating the counterfactual average tax rate that a corporation would have faced in a particular period had there been no endogenous change in corporate profits. This counterfactual rate is derived from a microsimulation model based on tax return data. A statistically significant and relatively large point estimate of the tax base elasticity implies that a reduction in the statutory corporate tax rate would reduce corporate tax receipts less than proportionally.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by National Tax Association in its journal National Tax Journal.
Volume (Year): 65 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (March Citation: 65 National Tax Journal 118-50 (March 2012))
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan Auerbach, 2006.
"Why have Corporate Tax Revenues Declined? Another Look,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1785, CESifo Group Munich.
- Alan J. Auerbach, 2007. "Why Have Corporate Tax Revenues Declined? Another Look," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 53(2), pages 153-171, June.
- Alan J. Auerbach, 2006. "Why Have Corporate Tax Revenues Declined? Another Look," NBER Working Papers 12463, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael P. Devereux, 2008. "Business taxation in a globalized world," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(4), pages 625-638, winter.
- Gruber, Jon & Saez, Emmanuel, 2002.
"The elasticity of taxable income: evidence and implications,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 1-32, April.
- Jon Gruber & Emmanuel Saez, 2000. "The Elasticity of Taxable Income: Evidence and Implications," NBER Working Papers 7512, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Feldstein, 1995.
"Tax Avoidance and the Deadweight Loss of the Income Tax,"
NBER Working Papers
5055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Feldstein, 1999. "Tax Avoidance And The Deadweight Loss Of The Income Tax," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 674-680, November.
- Frank Fossen & Stefan Bach, 2008. "Reforming the German Local Business Tax - Lessons from an International Comparison and a Microsimulation Analysis," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 64(2), pages 245-272, June.
- Leslie G. Godfrey, 1999. "Instrument Relevance in Multivariate Linear Models," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(3), pages 550-552, August.
- Wojciech Kopczuk, 2003.
"Tax Bases, Tax Rates and the Elasticity of Reported Income,"
NBER Working Papers
10044, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kopczuk, Wojciech, 2005. "Tax bases, tax rates and the elasticity of reported income," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(11-12), pages 2093-2119, December.
- Wojciech Kopczuk, 2004. "Tax bases, tax rates and the elasticity of reported income," Discussion Papers 0304-15, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- John Shea, 1996.
"Instrument Relevance in Multivariate Linear Models: A Simple Measure,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0193, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Shea, 1997. "Instrument Relevance in Multivariate Linear Models: A Simple Measure," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(2), pages 348-352, May.
- Nadja Dwenger & Viktor Steiner, 2009.
"Financial Leverage and Corporate Taxation: Evidence from German Corporate Tax Return Data,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
855, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Dwenger, Nadja & Steiner, Viktor, 2009. "Financial leverage and corporate taxation: Evidence from German corporate tax return data," arqus Discussion Papers in Quantitative Tax Research 61, arqus - Arbeitskreis Quantitative Steuerlehre.
- Stefan Bach & Nadja Dwenger, 2007. "Unternehmensbesteuerung: trotz hoher Steuersätze mäßiges Aufkommen," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 74(5), pages 57-65.
- Kimberly Clausing, 2007. "Corporate tax revenues in OECD countries," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 14(2), pages 115-133, April.
- Kevin A. Hassett & Alex Brill, 2009. "Revenue-Maximizing Corporate Income Taxes," Working Papers 25839, American Enterprise Institute.
- Hines, James R. Jr., 1999. "Lessons from Behavioral Responses to International Taxation," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 52(n. 2), pages 305-22, June Cita.
- Merrill, Peter R., 2010. "Corporate Tax Policy For The 21st Century," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 63(4), pages 623-33, December .
- Rocha-Akis, Silvia & Riedl, Aleksandra, 2008.
"Testing the tax competition theory: How elastic are national tax bases in Western Europe?,"
142, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Aleksandra Riedl & Silvia Rocha-Akis, 2007. "Testing the tax competition theory: How elastic are national tax bases in western Europe?," Department of Economics Working Papers wuwp112, Vienna University of Economics, Department of Economics.
- Cooper, Michael & Knittel, Matthew, 2006. "Partial Loss Refundability: How Are Corporate Tax Losses Used?," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 59(3), pages 651-63, September.
- Clausing, Kimberly A., 2009. "Multinational Firm Tax Avoidance and Tax Policy," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 62(4), pages 703-25, December .
- Seth H. Giertz, 2010. "The Elasticity of Taxable Income during the 1990s: New Estimates and Sensitivity Analyses," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 77(2), pages 406-433, October.
- Leoš Vítek, 2013. "Corporate Income Taxation and the Corporate Tax Base in the Czech Republic," Český finanční a účetní časopis, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2013(2).
- Li Liu & Rosanne Altshuler, 2011.
"Measuring the burden of the corporate income tax under imperfect competition,"
1105, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Liu, Li & Altshuler, Rosanne, 2013. "Measuring The Burden Of The Corporate Income Tax Under Imperfect Competition," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 66(1), pages 215-37, March Cit.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Charmaine Wright).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.