Pareto Gains from Trade
AbstractIn this paper we review the literature on Pareto gains from trade. We start by discussing the distributional implications of trade which arise in the general heterogeneous agents case. We present the proof of Pareto gains from trade using lumpsum redistribution, followed by the same result with commodity taxation. Newer results involving non-linear taxation, in particular the special case of a duty free zone, are also discussed. Finally, we address the distributional effects of trade in the presence of increasing returns to scale and love of variety.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Società editrice il Mulino in its journal Economia politica.
Volume (Year): (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ramya Vijaya, 2007. "Trade, Job Losses and Gender: A Policy Perspective," Forum for Social Economics, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 73-85, October.
- Nyhodo, Bonani & Punt, Cecilia & Vink, Nick, 2009. "The potential impact of the Doha Development Agenda on the South African economy: liberalising OECD agriculture and food trade," Agrekon, Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA), vol. 48(1), March.
- Carlo Devillanova & Michele Maio & Pietro Vertova, 2010. "Labour mobility and the redistributive effects of trade integration," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 100(2), pages 95-115, June.
- Carlo Devillanova & Michele Di Maio & Pietro Vertova, 2006. "Labour Mobility, Capital-Skill Complementarity and the Redistributive Effects of Trade Integration," KITeS Working Papers 188, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Nov 2006.
- Willmann, Gerald, 2004. "Pareto gains from trade: a dynamic counterexample," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 199-204, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.