International experiences of banking crises: management tools and macroeconomic consequences
AbstractOur study summarises the experiences of earlier banking crises on the basis of international data. Following a review of the tools which can be used in the initial, acute phase of banking crises and a description of the lessons drawn from their application to date, we examine the macroeconomic consequences of banking crises. Based on international experiences, although the growth rate of the economy may turn positive relatively quickly after a banking crisis, output losses are high, unemployment remains a problem for a longer time, and protracted adjustment processes start in the banking sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Magyar Nemzeti Bank (the central bank of Hungary) in its journal MNB Bulletin.
Volume (Year): 5 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
banking crisis; containment policies; monetary policy; macroeconomic effects;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E60 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - General
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- István Mák & Judit Páles, 2009. "The role of the FX swap market in the Hungarian financial system," MNB Bulletin, Magyar Nemzeti Bank (the central bank of Hungary), vol. 4(1), pages 24-34, May.
- Reinhart, Carmen M. & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 2013.
"Banking crises: An equal opportunity menace,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4557-4573.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2008. "Banking Crises: An Equal Opportunity Menace," NBER Working Papers 14587, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009. "Banking Crises: An Equal Opportunity Menace," CEPR Discussion Papers 7131, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fabian Valencia & Luc Laeven, 2008. "Systemic Banking Crises," IMF Working Papers 08/224, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maja Bajcsy).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.