The Momentum Effect in Latin American Emerging Markets
AbstractWe find that momentum strategies yield profits in Latin American emerging markets. Both stock type and country play a major role in explaining the momentum effect in these markets, but stock type is much more important. For risk-averse investors, winner portfolios stochastically dominate loser portfolios in these markets, implying that there are no asset-pricing models consistent with risk-averse investors that can rationalize the momentum effect. The results obtained via the bootstrap procedure without replacement also uphold this conclusion.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by M.E. Sharpe, Inc. in its journal Emerging Markets Finance and Trade.
Volume (Year): 43 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mesharpe.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=111024
bootstrap tests; emerging markets; momentum; stochastic dominance;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Luis Muga & Rafael Santamaría, 2009. "Momentum, market states and investor behavior," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 105-130, September.
- José Eduardo Gómez-González & Andrés F. García-Suaza, 2012.
"A Simple Test of Momentum in Foreign Exchange Markets,"
Emerging Markets Finance and Trade,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 48(5), pages 66-77, September.
- Andrés Felipe García-Suaza & Jose Eduardo Gómez González, . "A Simple Test of Momentum in Foreign Exchange Markets," Borradores de Economia 647, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Andres Felipe García-Suaza & José E. Gómez González, 2011. "A simple test of momentum in foreign exchange markets," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 008170, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Andres Felipe Garcia-Suaza & Jose Eduardo Gómez, 2011. "A Simple Test of Momentum in Foreign Exchange Markets," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 008230, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Yan-Ting Lin & Shang-Chi Gong & Sou-Shan Wu & Tsung-Pei Lee, 2012. "E/P Mean Reversion-Based Strategies for Investment Practice: Evidence from the Taiwan Market," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 48(1), pages 117-131, January.
- Isabel Abinzano & Luis Muga & Rafael Santamaria, 2010. "Do Managerial Skills Vary Across Fund Managers? Results Using European Mutual Funds," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 41-67, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Nguyen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.