Racial and Gender Discrimination in the Micro Firms Credit Market?: Evidence from Trinidad and Tobago
AbstractThis paper examines the Market for loans from banks to micro-and small enterprises in Trinidad and Tobago. It tests for the presence of racial and gender discrimination. It takes the reported refusal to grant loans to groups,when all other indicators of credit-worthiness are taken into account, as evidence of discrimination. The paper distinguishes between Application and Denial Rates. It finds that,once all other indicators of credit-worthiness are taken into account, neither Application nor Denial rates differ significantly by gender. Reported Denial rates are, however, higher for Africans compared with other ethnic groups,implying the possible presence of discrimination. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2004
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Small Business Economics.
Volume (Year): 23 (2004)
Issue (Month): 5 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100338
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Black, Jane & de Meza, David & Jeffreys, David, 1996. "House Price, the Supply of Collateral and the Enterprise Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(434), pages 60-75, January.
- Bester, Helmut, 1987. "The role of collateral in credit markets with imperfect information," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 887-899, June.
- Cavalluzzo, Ken S & Cavalluzzo, Linda C, 1998. "Market Structure and Discrimination: The Case of Small Businesses," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 30(4), pages 771-92, November.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Kon, Y & Storey, D J, 2003. " A Theory of Discouraged Borrowers," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 37-49, August.
- Cressy, Robert, 1996. "Are Business Startups Debt-Rationed?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(438), pages 1253-70, September.
- Blanchflower, D.G. & Oswald, A., 1991.
"What Makes an Entrepreneur?,"
Economics Series Working Papers
99125, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Ken Cavalluzzo & Linda Cavalluzzo & John Wolken, 1999. "Competition, small business financing, and discrimination: evidence from a new survey," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1999-25, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Harhoff, Dietmar & Stahl, Konrad O. & Woywode, Michael, 1996.
"Legal Form, Growth and Exit of West German Firms - Empirical Results for Manufacturing, Construction, Trade and Service Industries,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1401, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Harhoff, Dietmar & Stahl, Konrad & Woywode, Michael, 1998. "Legal Form, Growth and Exit of West German Firms--Empirical Results for Manufacturing, Construction, Trade and Service Industries," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(4), pages 453-88, December.
- Cooper, Arnold C. & Gimeno-Gascon, F. Javier & Woo, Carolyn Y., 1994. "Initial human and financial capital as predictors of new venture performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 9(5), pages 371-395, September.
- David G. Blanchflower & Phillip B. Levine & David J. Zimmerman, 2003.
"Discrimination in the Small-Business Credit Market,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 85(4), pages 930-943, November.
- David G. Blanchflower & Phillip B. Levine & David J. Zimmerman, 1998. "Discrimination in the Small Business Credit Market," NBER Working Papers 6840, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Raturi, Mayank & Swamy, Anand V, 1999. "Explaining Ethnic Differentials in Credit Market Outcomes in Zimbabwe," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(3), pages 585-604, April.
- Alexander Muravyev & Dorothea Schaefer & Oleksandr Talavera, 2008.
"Entrepreneurs' gender and financial constraints: evidence from international data,"
11, Kyiv School of Economics.
- Muravyev, Alexander & Talavera, Oleksandr & Schäfer, Dorothea, 2009. "Entrepreneurs' gender and financial constraints: Evidence from international data," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 270-286, June.
- Alexander Muravyev & Dorothea Schäfer & Oleksandr Talavera, 2007. "Entrepreneurs' Gender and Financial Constraints: Evidence from International Data," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 706, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Rijkers, Bob & Costa, Rita, 2012.
"Gender and rural non-farm entrepreneurship,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6066, The World Bank.
- Philipp Köllinger & Maria Minniti, 2006.
"Not for Lack of Trying: American Entrepreneurship in Black and White,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
574, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- P. Köllinger & M. Minniti, 2006. "Not for Lack of Trying: American Entrepreneurship in Black and White," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 59-79, August.
- Isabelle Agier & Ariane Szafarz, 2011.
"Subjectivity in Credit Allocation to Micro-Entrepreneurs: Evidence from Brazil,"
Working Papers CEB
11-016, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Isabelle Agier & Ariane Szafarz, 2013. "Subjectivity in credit allocation to micro-entrepreneurs: evidence from Brazil," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 263-275, June.
- Isabelle Agier & Ariane Szafarz, 2013. "Subjectivity in Credit Allocation to Micro-Entrepreneurs: Evidence from Brazil," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/148889, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Marc Labie & Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Roy Mersland & Ariane Szafarz, 2010.
"Discrimination by Microcredit Officers: Theory and Evidence on Disability in Uganda,"
Working Papers CEB
10-007.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Roy Mersland & Ariane Szafarz & Marc Labie, 2011. "Discrimination by Microcredit Officers:Theory and Evidence on Disability in Uganda," DULBEA Working Papers 11-06, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Anastasia Cozarenco & Ariane Szafarz, 2013.
"Female Access to Credit in France: How Microfinance Institutions Import Disparate Treatment from Banks,"
- Anastasia Cozarenco & Ariane Szafarz, 2013. "Female Access to Credit in France: How Microfinance Institutions Import Disparate Treatment from Banks," AMSE Working Papers 1350, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France, revised Dec 2013.
- Peter van der Zwan, 2014. "Bank loan application success by SMEs: the role of ownership structure and innovation," Scales Research Reports H201404, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Canton, E.J.F. & Grilo, I. & Monteagudo, J. & van der Zwan, P.W., 2012. "Perceived credit constraints in the European Union," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2010-001-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Bruder, Jana & Neuberger, Doris & Räthke-Döppner, Solvig, 2008. "Financial constraints of ethnic entrepreneurship: Evidence from Germany," Thuenen-Series of Applied Economic Theory 84, University of Rostock, Institute of Economics.
- Saridakis, George & Marlow, Susan & Storey, David J., 2014. "Do different factors explain male and female self-employment rates?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 345-362.
- Elena Bardasi & Shwetlena Sabarwal & Katherine Terrell, 2011. "How do female entrepreneurs perform? Evidence from three developing regions," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 37(4), pages 417-441, November.
- Erik Canton & Isabel Grilo & Josefa Monteagudo & Peter Zwan, 2013. "Perceived credit constraints in the European Union," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 701-715, October.
- Francis, Bill & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wu, Qiang, 2011. "The impact of CFO gender on bank loan contracting," Research Discussion Papers 18/2011, Bank of Finland.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.