Valuation of commodity derivatives in a new multi-factor model
AbstractThis paper extends existing commodity valuation models to allow for stochastic volatility and simultaneous jumps in the spot price and spot volatility. Closed-form valuation formulas for forwards, futures, futures options, geometric Asian options and commodity-linked bonds are obtained using the Heston (1993) and Bakshi and Madan (2000) methodology. Stochastic volatility and jumps do not affect the futures price at a given point in time. However, numerical examples indicate that they play important roles in pricing options on futures. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2002
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Review of Derivatives Research.
Volume (Year): 5 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102989
Asian options; commodity derivatives; random jumps; stochastic volatility;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heath, David & Jarrow, Robert & Morton, Andrew, 1992. "Bond Pricing and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A New Methodology for Contingent Claims Valuation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 77-105, January.
- Cox, John C. & Ingersoll, Jonathan Jr. & Ross, Stephen A., 1981. "The relation between forward prices and futures prices," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 321-346, December.
- Black, Fischer, 1976. "The pricing of commodity contracts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 167-179.
- Bakshi, Gurdip & Cao, Charles & Chen, Zhiwu, 2000. "Pricing and hedging long-term options," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 94(1-2), pages 277-318.
- Gibson, Rajna & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1990. " Stochastic Convenience Yield and the Pricing of Oil Contingent Claims," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(3), pages 959-76, July.
- Heston, Steven L, 1993. "A Closed-Form Solution for Options with Stochastic Volatility with Applications to Bond and Currency Options," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(2), pages 327-43.
- Back, Janis & Prokopczuk, Marcel & Rudolf, Markus, 2013. "Seasonality and the valuation of commodity options," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 273-290.
- Delphine Lautier & Alain Galli, 2010. "Dynamic hedging strategies: an application to the crude oil market," Post-Print halshs-00640802, HAL.
- Rodriguez, J.C., 2007. "A Preference-Free Formula to Value Commodity Derivatives," Discussion Paper 2007-92, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Chou-Wen Wang & Ting-Yi Wu, 2007. "An Alternative Formulation for the Pricing of Stock Index Futures: Theoretical and Empirical Perspectives," International Journal of Business and Economics, College of Business, and College of Finance, Feng Chia University, Taichung, Taiwan, vol. 6(2), pages 121-134, August.
- Lautier, Delphine & Galli, Alain, 2010. "Dynamic Hedging Strategies: An Application to the Crude Oil Market," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5470, Paris Dauphine University.
- Wu, Yang-Che & Chung, San-Lin, 2010. "Catastrophe risk management with counterparty risk using alternative instruments," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 234-245, October.
- Lautier, Delphine, 2005. "Segmentation in the Crude Oil Futures Term Structure," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/95, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.