The Benefits and Costs of an International Currency: Getting the Calculus Right
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Open Economies Review.
Volume (Year): 23 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100323
Currency pyramid; Misconceptions; Misplaced concreteness; Mistakes; E42; F33;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cohen, Benjamin J, 1971. "The Seigniorage Gains of an International Currency: An Empirical Test," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 494-507, August.
- Marc Flandreau & Clemens Jobst, 2005.
"The Ties that Divide: A Network Analysis of the International Monetary System, 1890-1910,"
Sciences Po publications
n°5129, Sciences Po.
- Flandreau, Marc & Jobst, Clemens, 2005. "The Ties that Divide: A Network Analysis of the International Monetary System, 1890 1910," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 65(04), pages 977-1007, December.
- Menzie Chinn & Jeffrey Frankel, 2008.
"Why the Euro Will Rival the Dollar,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(1), pages 49-73, 05.
- Elias Papaioannou & Richard Portes, 2008. "Costs and benefits of running an international currency," European Economy - Economic Papers, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission 348, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Flandreau, Marc, 2008.
"The Rise and Fall of the Dollar, or When did the Dollar Replace Sterling as the Leading Reserve Currency?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6869, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eichengreen, Barry & Flandreau, Marc, 2009. "The rise and fall of the dollar (or when did the dollar replace sterling as the leading reserve currency?)," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(03), pages 377-411, December.
- Adam S. Posen, 2008. "Why the Euro will Not Rival the Dollar," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(1), pages 75-100, 05.
- Barry Eichengreen & Marc Flandreau, 2010. "The Federal Reserve, the Bank of England and the rise of the dollar as an international currency, 1914-39," BIS Working Papers 328, Bank for International Settlements.
- Marc Flandreau & Clemens Jobst, 2009. "The Empirics of International Currencies: Network Externalities, History and Persistence," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(537), pages 643-664, 04.
- Frieden, Jeffry A., 1991. "Invested interests: the politics of national economic policies in a world of global finance," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge University Press, vol. 45(04), pages 425-451, September.
- Benjamin J. Cohen, 2009. "Dollar Dominance, Euro Aspirations: Recipe for Discord?," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47, pages 741-766, 09.
- Zhang, Liqing & Tao, Kunyu, 2014. "The Benefits and Costs of Renminbi Internationalization," ADBI Working Papers 481, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Satyendra Kumar Gupta & Ashima Goyal, 2014. "Reserve currencies: Can multiplicity work?," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2014-010, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Hyoung-kyu Chey, 2013. "The Concepts, Consequences, and Determinants of Currency Internationalization," GRIPS Discussion Papers 13-03, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Volz, Ulrich, 2013. "RMB internationalisation and currency co-operation in East Asia," Working Papers 125, University of Leipzig, Faculty of Economics and Management Science.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.