Why the Young Do Not Buy Long-Term Care Insurance
AbstractThis paper explains why those individuals who purchase long-term care insurance usually postpone their decision until they reach the age of retirement. This behavior is shown to be rational if there are fixed costs of loading or if there is uncertainty about the costs of disability. Individuals with a low risk of becoming disabled before retirement may prefer to buy insurance late in order to avoid losses in expected income. However, if the probability of becoming disabled after retirement is uncertain, it is generally preferable to buy long-term care insurance early. Copyright 1999 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Risk and Uncertainty.
Volume (Year): 18 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100299
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- CREMER, Helmuth & PESTIEAU, Pierre & PONTHIERE, Grégory, 2012.
"The economics of long-term care: a survey,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2012030, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Rinaldo Brau & Matteo Lippi Bruni, 2008.
"Eliciting the demand for long-term care coverage: a discrete choice modelling analysis,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(3), pages 411-433.
- Rinaldo Brau & Matteo Lippi Bruni, 2006. "Eliciting the Demand for Long Term Care Coverage: A Discrete Choice Modelling Analysis," Working Papers 2006.71, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Costa-Font, Joan & Rovira-Forns, Joan, 2008. "Who is willing to pay for long-term care insurance in Catalonia?," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 72-84, April.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00564862 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.