The Exponential Age Distribution and the Pareto Firm Size Distribution
AbstractRecent work drawing on data for large and small firms has shown a Pareto distribution of firm size. We mix a Gibrat-type growth process among incumbents with an exponential distribution of firm's age, to obtain the empirical Pareto distribution.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade.
Volume (Year): 10 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=105724
firm size distribution; age distribution; firm growth; Gibrat’s law; Pareto distribution; Zipf Law; L20; L25;
Other versions of this item:
- Alex Coad, 2008. "The exponential age distribution and the Pareto firm size distribution," Jena Economic Research Papers 2008-072, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gaffeo, Edoardo & Gallegati, Mauro & Palestrini, Antonio, 2003. "On the size distribution of firms: additional evidence from the G7 countries," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 324(1), pages 117-123.
- Alexander Coad & Jagannadha Pawan Tamvada, 2008. "The Growth and Decline of Small firms In Developing Countries," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2008-08, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Evolutionary Economics Group.
- Bernardo A. Huberman & Lada A. Adamic, 1999. "The Nature of Markets in the World Wide Web," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 521, Society for Computational Economics.
- Ramsden, J.J. & Kiss-Haypál, Gy., 2000. "Company size distribution in different countries," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 277(1), pages 220-227.
- Y. Malevergne & A. Saichev & D. Sornette, 2010.
"Zipf's law and maximum sustainable growth,"
- Coad, Alex & Segarra Blasco, Agustí, 1958- & Teruel, Mercedes, 2013. "Innovation and firm growth: Does firm age play a role?," Working Papers 2072/211886, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Alex Coad, 2009.
"Investigating the exponential age distribution of firms,"
Papers on Economics and Evolution
2009-23, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Evolutionary Economics Group.
- Coad, Alex, 2010. "Investigating the exponential age distribution of firms," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 4(17), pages 1-30.
- Coad, Alex, 2010. "Investigating the exponential age distribution of firms," Economics Discussion Papers 2010-12, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.