Bank Time Deposit Rates and Market Discipline in Poland: The Impact of State Ownership and Deposit Insurance Reform
AbstractThis paper examines the impact of ownership structure and changes in the deposit insurance system on the market for bank time deposits in Poland. In an environment of less restrictive bank supervision and a deposit insurance policy that favored state banks, we find depositors exacted a price for risk taking. After a new law increasing coverage for private banks went into effect, however, bank specific variables became less important in explaining differences in deposit interest rates. We report that the three fully guaranteed state banks pay significantly lower rates that private banks. However, other state-owned banks, with the same de jure guarantee as private banks, pay significantly lower rates than private banks, so it appears that depositors treat these state-owned banks as if they have a larger de facto guarantee.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Financial Services Research.
Volume (Year): 15 (1999)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102934
Other versions of this item:
- Thomas S. Mondschean & Timothy P. Opiela, 1998. "Bank time deposit rates and market discipline in Poland: the impact of state ownership and deposit insurance reform," Working Paper Series, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago WP-98-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & C. Fred Bergsten & Michael L. Mussa, 1994. "Exchange Rate Policy," NBER Chapters, in: American Economic Policy in the 1980s, pages 293-366 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Flannery, Mark J, 1998. "Using Market Information in Prudential Bank Supervision: A Review of the U.S. Empirical Evidence," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 30(3), pages 273-305, August.
- Thomas S. Mondschean & Timothy P. Opiela, 1997. "Banking reform in a transition economy: the case of Poland," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Mar, pages 16-32.
- Timothy H. Hannan & Gerald A. Hanweck, 1986.
"Bank insolvency risk and the market for large certificates of deposit,"
Working Papers in Banking, Finance and Microeconomics
86-1, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Hannan, Timothy H & Hanweck, Gerald A, 1988. "Bank Insolvency Risk and the Market for Large Certificates of Deposit," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 20(2), pages 203-11, May.
- Ellis, David M. & Flannery, Mark J., 1992. "Does the debt market assess large banks, risk? : Time series evidence from money center CDs," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 481-502, December.
- Piero Ugolini, 1996. "National Bank of Poland," IMF Occasional Papers 144, International Monetary Fund.
- Calomiris, Charles W., 1990. "Is Deposit Insurance Necessary? A Historical Perspective," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 50(02), pages 283-295, June.
- Kane, Edward J., 1995.
"Difficulties of transferring risk-based capital requirements to developing countries,"
Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 3(2-3), pages 193-216, July.
- Kane, Edward J. & DEC, 1994. "Difficulties of transferring risk-based capital requirements to developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1244, The World Bank.
- Charalambos Christofides & Paul Mylonas & Inci Ãƒâ€“tker & Liam P. Ebrill & Gerd Schwartz & Ajai Chopra, 1994. "Poland," IMF Occasional Papers 113, International Monetary Fund.
- Herbert Baer & Elijah Brewer, 1986. "The effect of bank risk on the price and availability of uninsured deposits," Proceedings 102, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Masami Imai, 2006. "Market Discipline and Deposit Insurance Reform in Japan," Wesleyan Economics Working Papers 2006-007, Wesleyan University, Department of Economics.
- M. Disli & K. Schoors & J. Meir, 2012.
"Political connections and depositor discipline,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration
12/781, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Jackowicz, Krzysztof & Kowalewski , Oskar & Kozlowski , Lukasz, 2013.
"Market discipline during crisis: Evidence from bank depositors in transition countries,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
21/2013, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Jackowicz, Krzysztof & Kowalewski, Oskar & Kozłowski, Łukasz, 2013. "Market discipline during crisis: Evidence from bank depositors in transition countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5436-5451.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Jackowicz, Krzysztof & Kowalewski, Oskar & Kozłowski, Łukasz, 2012. "Market Discipline during Crisis: Evidence from Bank Depositors in Transition Countries," MPRA Paper 43693, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Irwan Trinugroho & Agusman Agusman & Amine Tarazi, 2012.
"Why Have Bank Interest Margins Been so High in Indonesia Since the 1997/1998 Financial Crisis?,"
- Trinugroho, Irwan & Agusman, Agusman & Tarazi, Amine, 2014. "Why have bank interest margins been so high in Indonesia since the 1997/1998 financial crisis?," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 32(C), pages 139-158.
- Hulya Bayir, 2001. "Measuring the Impact of Full Coverage Deposit Insurance Policy in a Probit Model : A Study of the Privately Owned Commercial Banks in Turkey," Central Bank Review, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey, vol. 1(1), pages 1-23.
- Chernykh, Lucy & Rebel, Cole, 2009.
"Does Deposit Insurance Improve Financial Intermediation? Evidence from the Russian Experiment,"
12987, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chernykh, Lucy & Cole, Rebel A., 2011. "Does deposit insurance improve financial intermediation? Evidence from the Russian experiment," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 388-402, February.
- Emmanuelle Nys & Amine Tarazi & Irwan Trinugroho, 2013. "Political Connections, Bank Deposits, and Formal Deposit Insurance: Evidence from an Emerging Economy," Working Papers hal-00916513, HAL.
- Imai, Masami, 2006. "Market discipline and deposit insurance reform in Japan," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 3433-3452, December.
- Opiela, Timothy P., 2004. "Was there an implicit full guarantee at financial institutions in Thailand? Evidence of risk pricing by depositors," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 519-541, September.
- Michal Jurek, . "Role and impact of different types of financial institutions on economic performance and stability of the real sector in selected EU member states," Working papers, Financialisation, Economy, Society & Sustainable Development (FESSUD) Project wpaper36, Financialisation, Economy, Society & Sustainable Development (FESSUD) Project.
- Caprio, Gerard & Honohan, Patrick, 2004. "Can the unsophisticated market provide discipline?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3364, The World Bank.
- Cubillas, Elena & Fonseca, Ana Rosa & González, Francisco, 2012. "Banking crises and market discipline: International evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 2285-2298.
- Martin Eling & Dieter Kiesenbauer, 2012. "Does Surplus Participation Reflect Market Discipline? An Analysis of the German Life Insurance Market," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 159-185, December.
- Jiranyakul, Komain & Opiela, Timothy, 2014. "Market Discipline at Thai Banks before the Asian Crisis," MPRA Paper 54492, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.