Investment in Stadia and Regional Economic Development—Evidence from FIFA World Cup 2006
AbstractUsing the case of the new stadiums for the FIFA World Cup 2006 in Germany, this paper is the first multivariate work that examines the potential income and employment effects of new stadiums outside of the USA. This study is also the first work on this topic that conducts tests on the basis of a (serial correlation consistent) Difference-in-Difference model with level and trends. As a robustness check, we use the “ignoring time series information” model in a form that is modified for non-synchronous interventions. We were not able to identify income or employment effects of the construction of new stadiums for the FIFA World Cup 2006, which are significantly different from zero.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Fitness Information Technology in its journal International Journal of Sport Finance.
Volume (Year): 4 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.fitinfotech.com/
Other versions of this item:
- Arne Feddersen & André Grötzinger & Wolfgang Maennig, 2008. "Investment in Stadia and Regional Economic Development - Evidence from FIFA World Cup 2006," Working Papers 016, Chair for Economic Policy, University of Hamburg.
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arne Feddersen & Wolfgang Maennig, 2005. "Trends in Competitive Balance: Is there Evidence for Growing Imbalance in Professional Sport Leagues?," Working Papers 0012005, Chair for Economic Policy, University of Hamburg.
- Arne Feddersen, 2006. "Economic Consequences of the UEFA Champions League for National Championships - The Case of Germany," Working Papers 0012006, Chair for Economic Policy, University of Hamburg.
- Wolfgang Maennig & Florian Schwarthoff, 2008. "Stadium Architecture and Regional Economic Development: International Experience and the Plans of Durban," Working Papers 0816, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Robert Baade & Victor Matheson, 2011.
"An Evaluation of the Economic Impact of National Football League Mega-events,"
1119, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Robert Baade & Victor Matheson, 2011. "An Evaluation of the Economic Impact of National Football League Mega-events," Working Papers 1112, College of the Holy Cross, Department of Economics.
- Feddersen, Arne & Maennig, Wolfgang, 2012.
"Sectoral labour market effects of the 2006 FIFA World Cup,"
Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 860-869.
- Arne Feddersen & Wolfgang Maennig, 2010. "Sectoral Labour Market Effects of the 2006 FIFA World Cup," Working Papers 033, Chair for Economic Policy, University of Hamburg.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Matheson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.