The Valuation of Undeveloped Land: A Reconciliation of Methods
AbstractThis paper investigates the value and proposes a public policy regarding government grazing leases. It is found that federal grazing leases have little impact upon the value of ranches. It is speculated that state leases are valued more highly than federal grazing leases because of the higher level of certainty of future availability and reasonable leasing fees. Based on these findings, this paper recommends a change in the classification of multiple use and possible divesting of much of the BLM lands. In addition, it is recommended that the federal government should set grazing rates no higher than their fair market value and attempt to reduce the uncertainty regarding future availability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate Society in its journal Journal of Real Estate Research.
Volume (Year): 9 (1994)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wyckoff, J.B., 1977. "Allocation Problems Of Public Lands In The West," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 2, December.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- John R. Winter & James K. Whittaker, 1981. "The Relationship between Private Ranchland Prices and Public-Land Grazing Permits," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 57(3), pages 414-421.
- Torell, L. Allen & Doll, John P., 1991. "Public Land Policy And The Value Of Grazing Permits," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 16(01), July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.