An Examination of the Small-Firm Effect within the REIT Industry
AbstractReal estate investment trusts (REITs) offer investors the ability to more easily include real estate-related assets in their investment portfolios. Certain REIT characteristics may allow some REITs to outperform others. Empirical research in the financial literature indicates that small firms earn higher average rates of return than large firms after accounting for risk. This research tests for the existence of the small-firm effect within the REIT industry. REITs provide an opportunity to examine the small-firm effect and its possible explanations using a relative homogeneous group of securities. The evidence supports a small-firm effect for REITs over the time period examined even after considering the possible explanations identified in the financial efficient markets literature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate Society in its journal Journal of Real Estate Research.
Volume (Year): 6 (1991)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barry, Christopher B. & Brown, Stephen J., 1984. "Differential information and the small firm effect," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 283-294, June.
- Banz, Rolf W., 1981. "The relationship between return and market value of common stocks," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 3-18, March.
- Roger M. Shelor & Dwight C. Anderson, 1998. "The Financial Performance of REITs Following Initial Public Offerings," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 16(3), pages 375-388.
- Marcus T. Allen & Jeff Madura & Kenneth J. Wiant, 1995. "Commercial Bank Exposure and Sensitivity to the Real Estate Market," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 10(2), pages 129-140.
- Su-Jane Chen & Chengho Hsieh & Timothy W. Vines & Shur-Nuaan Chiou, 1998. "Macroeconomic Variables, Firm-Specific Variables and Returns to REITs," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 16(3), pages 269-278.
- Thomas C. Chiang & Hooi Hooi Lean & Wing-Keung Wong, 2008. "Do REITs Outperform Stocks and Fixed-Income Assets? New Evidence from Mean-Variance and Stochastic Dominance Approaches," Journal of Risk and Financial Management, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 1(1), pages 1-40, December.
- Barbara J. Davis & Roger M. Shelor, 1995. "Executive Compensation and Financial Performance in the Real Estate Industry," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 10(2), pages 141-152.
- Arnold L. Redman & Herman Manakyan & Kartono Liano, 1997. "Real Estate Investment Trusts and Calendar Anomalies," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 14(1), pages 19-28.
- Elizabeth Yobaccio & Jack H. Rubens & David C. Ketcham, 1995. "The Inflation-Hedging Properties of Risk Assets: The Case of REITs," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 10(3), pages 279-296.
- Youguo Liang & James R. Webb, 1995. "Pricing Interest-Rate Risk for Mortgage REITs," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 10(4), pages 461-470.
- Martina Bers & Thomas M. Springer, 1997. "Economies of Scale for Real Estate Investment Trusts," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 14(3), pages 275-290.
- Anderson, Randy I. & Fok, Robert & Springer, Thomas & Webb, James, 2002. "Technical efficiency and economies of scale: A non-parametric analysis of REIT operating efficiency," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 139(3), pages 598-612, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.