The Financial Performance of Real Estate Investment Trusts
AbstractThe intent of this article is to update the performance evaluation of Real Estate Investment Trusts. This update is important for three reasons. First, REITs today are one type of vehicle that permits the analysis of real estate assets in a modern portfolio context. Second, the performance of REITs was considered exceptionally good in recent years on a risk-adjusted basis. This would suffice as a market imperfection in the pricing of REIT shares which is difficult to support in light of the efficient market hypothesis. Third, recent studies o the performance of REITs have only covered time periods from 1963 to 1979 and an update to include the most recent six-year time period would offer valuable insight into REIT performance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate Society in its journal Journal of Real Estate Research.
Volume (Year): 1 (1986)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hoag, James W, 1980. " Towards Indices of Real Estate Value and Return," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(2), pages 569-80, May.
- Friedman, Harris C., 1971. "Real Estate Investment and Portfolio Theory," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(02), pages 861-874, March.
- Mike Miles & Tom McCue, 1984. "Commercial Real Estate Returns," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 12(3), pages 355-377.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Devaney, Michael, 2001. "Time varying risk premia for real estate investment trusts: A GARCH-M model," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 335-346.
- F.C. Neil Myer & James R. Webb, 1993. "The Effect of Benchmark Choice on Risk-Adjusted Performance Measures for Commingled Real Estate Funds," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 8(2), pages 189-204.
- Pierpaolo Pattitoni & Barbara Petracci & Massimo Spisni, 2011. "Fee Structure, Financing, and Investment Decisions: The Case of REITs," Working Paper Series 30_11, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Joseph T.L. Ooi & Kim-Hiang Liow, 2004. "Risk-Adjusted Performance of Real Estate Stocks: Evidence From Developing Markets," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 26(4), pages 371-396.
- Su-Jane Chen & Chengho Hsieh & Timothy W. Vines & Shur-Nuaan Chiou, 1998. "Macroeconomic Variables, Firm-Specific Variables and Returns to REITs," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 16(3), pages 269-278.
- Lynne B. Sagalyn, 1990. "Real Estate Risk and the Business Cycle: Evidence from Security Markets," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 5(2), pages 203-220.
- David C. Ling, 1993. "Probabilistic Valuation Models and Income Tax Asymmetries with an Application to the Analysis of Passive Loss Restrictions," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 8(2), pages 205-220.
- Benefield, Justin D. & Anderson, Randy I. & Zumpano, Leonard V., 2009. "Performance differences in property-type diversified versus specialized real estate investment trusts (REITs)," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 70-79, April.
- Roger M. Shelor & Dwight C. Anderson, 1998. "The Financial Performance of REITs Following Initial Public Offerings," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 16(3), pages 375-388.
- Leon G. Shilton & John Teall, 1994. "Option-Based Prediction of Commercial Mortgage Defaults," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 9(2), pages 219-236.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.