Foreign Aid Flows And Real Exchange Rate: Evidence From Syria
AbstractThis paper uses time series data from Syria for the period 1965 to 1997 to test the aid and ¡°Dutch disease¡± hypothesis. We employ the relatively new approach to cointegration, known as the Auto Regressive Distributed Lag (ARDL) approach. We find no support for this hypothesis neither in the long run nor in the short run. On the contrary, our results indicate that foreign aid flows are associated with depreciation of the real exchange rate. The main policy implication, based on the long run results, is that Syria can continue to receive aid without fears of impairing its export competitiveness.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics in its journal Journal Of Economic Development.
Volume (Year): 33 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
Aid Flows; Dutch Disease; Real Exchange Rate; Cointegration; Error Correction; Syria;
Other versions of this item:
- H Issa & B Ouattara, 2004. "Foreign Aid Flows and Real Exchange Rate: Evidence from Syria," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0408, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- F35 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Aid
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pedro M G Martins, . "Capital Inflows Hinder Competitiveness? The Real Exchange Rate in Ethiopia," Discussion Papers 10/07, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Addison, Tony & Baliamoune-Lutz, Mina N., 2013. "Aid and Dutch Disease: Evidence from Moroccan and Tunisian time-series data," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Farid Makhlouf & Mazhar Mughal, 2013.
"Remittances, Dutch Disease, And Competitiveness: A Bayesian Analysis,"
Journal of Economic Development,
Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 38(2), pages 67-97, June.
- Farid MAKHLOUF & Mazhar MUGHAL, 2011. "Remittances, Dutch Disease, and Competitiveness - A Bayesian Analysis," Working Papers 2011-2012_1, CATT - UPPA - Université de Pau et des Pays de l'Adour, revised Dec 2011.
- Pedro M. G. Martins, 2010. "Do Capital Inflows Hinder Competitiveness? The Real Exchange Rate in Ethiopia," Working Paper Series 1110, Department of Economics, University of Sussex.
- Andrew Berg & Rafael A Portillo & Luis-Felipe Zanna, 2014. "Policy Responses to Aid Surges in Countries with Limited International Capital Mobility: The Role of the Exchange Rate Regime," IMF Working Papers 14/18, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Changhui Kang).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.