Public Debt And Economic Growth In The South Pacific Islands: A Case Study Of Fiji
AbstractGrowing public debt of Fiji has been causing concerns all around. As part of countercyclical measures, the Government stepped up public expenditure from 2001 in response to the adverse consequences of the 2000 civilian coup, which witnessed a decline in investor confidence, resulting in a steep fall in private sector investment. Expansionary fiscal policy measures in the annual budgets of 2001 to 2004 as well as unforeseen natural disaster management expenditures have pushed the ratio of outstanding public debt to national output beyond the level of 50%. This paper seeks to examine the nexus between debt and growth in Fiji.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics in its journal Journal Of Economic Development.
Volume (Year): 31 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
Public Debt; Government Expenditure; Growth; Cointergration; Causality;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H5 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies
- H6 - Public Economics - - National Budget, Deficit, and Debt
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Perotti, Roberto & Kontopoulos, Yianos, 2002. "Fragmented fiscal policy," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 191-222, November.
- D. Giannaros & B. Kolluri & M. Panik, 1999. "An Empirical Analysis of The Effects of Government Spending on Capital Investment: Evidence from O.E.C.D. Countries," International Economic Journal, Korean International Economic Association, vol. 13(1), pages 45-55.
- Alesina, Alberto F & Ardagna, Silvia & Perotti, Roberto & Schiantarelli, Fabio, 1999.
"Fiscal Policy, Profits and Investment,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2250, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ardagna, Silvia & Alesina, Alberto & Perotti, Roberto & Schiantarelli, Fabio, 2002. "Fiscal Policy, Profits, and Investment," Scholarly Articles 3353756, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Schiantarelli, Fabio & Perotti, Roberto & Ardagna, Silvia & Alesina, Alberto, 2002. "Fiscal Policy, Profits, and Investment," Scholarly Articles 4685103, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alberto Alesina & Silvia Ardagna & Roberto Perotti & Fabio Schiantarelli, 2000. "Fiscal Policy, Profits, and Investment," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 504, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Alberto Alesina & Silvia Ardagna & Roberto Perotti & Fabio Schiantarelli, 1999. "Fiscal Policy, Profits, and Investment," NBER Working Papers 7207, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kyttack Hong).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.