Does Foreign Aid Affect The Environment In Developing Economies?
AbstractPreserving the environment is important from both national and international perspectives. Similarly, the provision of foreign assistance from richer to poorer nations is often seen as an imperative. However, there is a noticeable gap in research on how aid flows are linked to the environment in developing economies. Using the method of Granger causality, this paper explores the possible linkages. Results indicate that the external debt of a developing country bears upon the relationship in important ways. The second part of the paper entertains the possibility of spurious causality, tests for cointegration, and present additional results using an error-correction model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics in its journal Journal Of Economic Development.
Volume (Year): 31 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
Developing Countries; Pollution; Foreign Aid;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F35 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Aid
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Huang, Yongfu & Quibria, M. G., 2013. "The global partnership for sustainable development," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Bettina Kretschmer & Michael Hübler & Peter Nunnenkamp, 2010. "Does Foreign Aid Reduce Energy and Carbon Intensities in Developing Countries," Kiel Working Papers 1598, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Alain-Désiré Nimubona & Horatiu Rus, 2011. "Green Technology Transfers and Border Tax Adjustments," Working Papers 1102, University of Waterloo, Department of Economics, revised May 2011.
- Li, Jun, 2013. "Foreign aid, urbanization and green cities," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- B. Mak ARVIN & Zafar KAYANI & Marisa A. SCIGLIANO, 2009. "Environmental Aid and Economic Development in the Third World," International Journal of Applied Econometrics and Quantitative Studies, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 9(1).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Changhui Kang).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.