Public Infrastructure And Private Output: An Application To Greece
AbstractRecently, it has been announced by economic policy makers, that Greece¡¯s ambition for the 21st century is to become a business and transport hub, linking south-east Europe with EU markets. Undoubtedly, public infrastructure plays a determinant role in fulfilling these expectations and plans. Nevertheless, the impact of public infrastructure on Greek economy has rarely been systematically examined at an empirical level. In this paper we take into account some of the points of the underlying criticism in the literature to empirically investigate the possible links between public infrastructure and Greek productivity. More precisely, we use cointegration techniques and vector autoregression (VAR) analysis in order to derive the long run relationship and the short run dynamics between public infrastructure and private output. Our results indicate that a one percent increase in public infrastructure enhances the productivity of the Greek industrial sector by 0.14 percent.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics in its journal Journal Of Economic Development.
Volume (Year): 27 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
Public Infrastructure; Private Productivity; Cointegration Tests; VAR; IRF; VDC;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H54 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Infrastructures
- E2 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alfredo Marvão Pereira & Jorge M. Andraz, 2010.
"On The Economic Effects Of Investment In Railroad Infrastructures In Portugal,"
96, Department of Economics, College of William and Mary, revised 03 Apr 2012.
- Alfredo M. Pereira & Jorge M. Andraz, 2012. "On The Economic Effects Of Investment In Railroad Infrastructures In Portugal," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 37(2), pages 79-107, June.
- Causa, Orsetta & Cohen, Daniel, 2006. "Industrial Productivity in 51 Countries, Rich and Poor," CEPR Discussion Papers 5549, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Niloy Bose & M. Emranul Haque, 2005. "Causality Between Public Investment In Transport And Communication And Economic Growth," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 30(1), pages 95-106, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Changhui Kang).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.