Pricing and Hedging Path-Dependent Options Under the CEV Process
AbstractMuch of the work on path-dependent options assumes that the underlying asset price follows geometric Brownian motion with constant volatility. This paper uses a more general assumption for the asset price process that provides a better fit to the empirical observations. We use the so-called constant elasticity of variance (CEV) diffusion model where the volatility is a function of the underlying asset price. We derive analytical formulae for the prices of important types of path-dependent options under this assumption. We demonstrate that the prices of options, which depend on extrema, such as barrier and lookback options, can be much more sensitive to the specification of the underlying price process than standard call and put options and show that a financial institution that uses the standard geometric Brownian motion assumption is exposed to significant pricing and hedging errors when dealing in path-dependent options.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 47 (2001)
Issue (Month): 7 (July)
Path-Dependent Options; Barrier Options; Lookback Options; Diffusion Processes; CEV Model; Generalized Bessel Process; Radial Ornstein-Uhlenbeck Process;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hardy Hulley & Eckhard Platen, 2007. "Laplace Transform Identities for Diffusions, with Applications to Rebates and Barrier Options," Research Paper Series 203, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Forde, Martin, 2011. "A diffusion-type process with a given joint law for the terminal level and supremum at an independent exponential time," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 121(12), pages 2802-2817.
- Detemple, Jerome & Rindisbacher, Marcel, 2007. "Monte Carlo methods for derivatives of options with discontinuous payoffs," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(7), pages 3393-3417, April.
- Gu, Ailing & Guo, Xianping & Li, Zhongfei & Zeng, Yan, 2012. "Optimal control of excess-of-loss reinsurance and investment for insurers under a CEV model," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 674-684.
- Dell'Era Mario, M.D., 2008. "Pricing of the European Options by Spectral Theory," MPRA Paper 17429, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Massimo Costabile & Arturo Leccadito & Ivar Massabó, 2009. "Computationally simple lattice methods for option and bond pricing," Decisions in Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 161-181, November.
- Angelos Dassios & Jayalaxshmi Nagaradjasarma, 2006. "The square-root process and Asian options," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(4), pages 337-347.
- Andrey Itkin, 2012. "New solvable stochastic volatility models for pricing volatility derivatives," Papers 1205.3550, arXiv.org, revised Jun 2012.
- Rafael Mendoza-Arriaga & Vadim Linetsky, 2011. "Pricing equity default swaps under the jump-to-default extended CEV model," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 513-540, September.
- Sbuelz, Alessandro & Caliari, Marco, 2012. "Revisiting corporate growth options in the presence of state-dependent cashflow risk," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 220(1), pages 286-294.
- Dell'Era Mario, M.D., 2008. "Pricing of Double Barrier Options by Spectral Theory," MPRA Paper 17502, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gao, Jianwei, 2010. "An extended CEV model and the Legendre transform-dual-asymptotic solutions for annuity contracts," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 511-530, June.
- Fusai, Gianluca & Recchioni, Maria Cristina, 2007. "Analysis of quadrature methods for pricing discrete barrier options," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 826-860, March.
- Campi, Luciano & Polbennikov, Simon & Sbuelz, Alessandro, 2009. "Systematic equity-based credit risk: A CEV model with jump to default," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 93-108, January.
- Aleksandar Mijatovic & Mikhail Urusov, 2009. "On the Martingale Property of Certain Local Martingales," Papers 0905.3701, arXiv.org, revised Oct 2010.
- Pagliarani, Stefano & Pascucci, Andrea, 2011. "Analytical approximation of the transition density in a local volatility model," MPRA Paper 31107, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Zhang, Li-Hua & Zhang, Wei-Guo & Xu, Wei-Jun & Xiao, Wei-Lin, 2012. "The double exponential jump diffusion model for pricing European options under fuzzy environments," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 780-786.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.