Optimization of (s, S) Inventory Systems with Random Lead Times and a Service Level Constraint
AbstractA major assumption in the analysis of (s, S) inventory systems with stochastic lead times is that orders are received in the same sequence as they are placed. Even under this assumption, much of the work to date has focused on the unconstrained optimization of the system, in which a penalty cost for unsatisfied demand is assigned. The literature on constrained optimization, wherein a service level requirement needs to be met, is more sparse. In this paper, we consider the constrained optimization problem, where orders are allowed to cross in time. We propose a feasible directions procedure that is simulation based, and present computational results for a large number of test cases. In the vast majority of cases, we come within 5% of estimated optimality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 44 (1998)
Issue (Month): 12-Part-2 (December)
(s; S) Inventory Systems; Random Lead Times; Service Level Constraint; Constrained Simulation Optimization; Feasible Directions Search; Perturbation Analysis;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Van Nieuwenhuyse, Inneke & Kleijnen, J.P.C. & van Beers, W., 2008.
"Constrained optimization in simulation: a novel approach,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/200609, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Kleijnen, J.P.C. & Beers, W.C.M. van & Nieuwenhuyse, I. van, 2008. "Constrained Optimization in Simulation: A Novel Approach," Discussion Paper 2008-95, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Rossi, Roberto & Tarim, S. Armagan & Hnich, Brahim & Prestwich, Steven, 2010. "Computing the non-stationary replenishment cycle inventory policy under stochastic supplier lead-times," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 127(1), pages 180-189, September.
- Fang, Xin & Zhang, Cheng & Robb, David J. & Blackburn, Joseph D., 2013. "Decision support for lead time and demand variability reduction," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 390-396.
- Duan, Qinglin & Warren Liao, T., 2013. "Optimization of replenishment policies for decentralized and centralized capacitated supply chains under various demands," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 194-204.
- Bekker, James & Aldrich, Chris, 2011. "The cross-entropy method in multi-objective optimisation: An assessment," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 211(1), pages 112-121, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.