Optimization of (s, S) Inventory Systems with Random Lead Times and a Service Level Constraint
AbstractA major assumption in the analysis of (s, S) inventory systems with stochastic lead times is that orders are received in the same sequence as they are placed. Even under this assumption, much of the work to date has focused on the unconstrained optimization of the system, in which a penalty cost for unsatisfied demand is assigned. The literature on constrained optimization, wherein a service level requirement needs to be met, is more sparse. In this paper, we consider the constrained optimization problem, where orders are allowed to cross in time. We propose a feasible directions procedure that is simulation based, and present computational results for a large number of test cases. In the vast majority of cases, we come within 5% of estimated optimality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by INFORMS in its journal Management Science.
Volume (Year): 44 (1998)
Issue (Month): 12-Part-2 (December)
(s; S) Inventory Systems; Random Lead Times; Service Level Constraint; Constrained Simulation Optimization; Feasible Directions Search; Perturbation Analysis;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fang, Xin & Zhang, Cheng & Robb, David J. & Blackburn, Joseph D., 2013. "Decision support for lead time and demand variability reduction," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 390-396.
- Rossi, Roberto & Tarim, S. Armagan & Hnich, Brahim & Prestwich, Steven, 2010. "Computing the non-stationary replenishment cycle inventory policy under stochastic supplier lead-times," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 127(1), pages 180-189, September.
- Sumit Kunnumkal & Huseyin Topaloglu, 2009. "A stochastic approximation method for the single-leg revenue management problem with discrete demand distributions," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 70(3), pages 477-504, December.
- Kleijnen, J.P.C. & Beers, W.C.M. van & Nieuwenhuyse, I. van, 2008.
"Constrained Optimization in Simulation: A Novel Approach,"
2008-95, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Kleijnen, Jack P.C. & Beers, W.C.M. van & Nieuwenhuyse, I. van, 2010. "Constrained optimization in simulation: A novel approach," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3583585, Tilburg University.
- Kleijnen, Jack P.C., 2013. "Simulation-Optimization via Kriging and Bootstrapping: A Survey (Revision of CentER DP 2011-064)," Discussion Paper 2013-064, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Duan, Qinglin & Warren Liao, T., 2013. "Optimization of replenishment policies for decentralized and centralized capacitated supply chains under various demands," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 194-204.
- Bekker, James & Aldrich, Chris, 2011. "The cross-entropy method in multi-objective optimisation: An assessment," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 211(1), pages 112-121, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.